Archinect
anchor

HELP! i still don't know what to do!

jizzy

i'm finishing up as a finance major but just realized i don't want to do finance. i am considering changing my major but am not sure to what. i have considered law, architecture, philosophy, art, game design, and potentially anything else. i haven't really discovered anything that i would like enough to do for several years as a job. if i worked more than 3 years in something i would probably kill myself and/or others. i would rather mix it up and do something for a year, then something completely different the next year. unfortunately society generally doesn't seem to be kind to people like this, since, typically, to make a sufficient living (i.e. salary-wise), you need to sit down and work your way up the food chain (which can be hard if you get bored of the stuff) and not keep on looking for new stuff. i don't have ADD [as clinically defined, what i would call "short-run ADD"] but i do seem to have long-run ADD in this respect, and it is a danger to myself and to the rest of society for aforementioned reasons. so please help. what should i do?

Mar 28, 09 5:39 am
PodZilla

Architecture is very, very, very difficult to become "good" at in a short period of time, which it sounds like you're trying to do. I have five years of education invested in this profession as of right now and plan on getting a low-paying entry level job when I graduate (if I'm lucky.) your "long run ADD" would be career suicide in this profession, plain and simple. You really need to have a love and passion for this work and if its not there, its not worth it to put in the hours for the comparatively low salaries we're paid. That said, I'm sure anyone on here who is really into architecture (myself included) would tell you that its a labor of love sure, but it can ultimately be extremely rewarding and even fun if you're passionate about it.

Mar 28, 09 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: