Archinect
anchor

Graduate Schools for Design? Help

ArcHippie

Hey. I am new to this forum, but i was reading everyone's comments. I am currently enrolled in the Undergraduate Professional Degree of LAndscape Architecture at Florida International University. I would like ot apply to another school to possibly continue my MLA II and/ or another field, such as MArch and MFA. I am finishing up my second to last year, and i am having a very hard time looking and deciding what to do with my future.

I have a reall good GPA >3.5 and great skills in design, and semi- good skills in computer rendering. I enjoy art and the concepts that are generated. I enjoy mostly working with FORM and process that goes into making form, while practicality tends to come last.

I am interested in UPENN, UOregon, RISD, CORNELL, UWashington, Maybe UC Berkley, UMASS, and maybe even Havard/ Columbia, really for any of their design programs.
I am turned off by the practical uses of Architecture, but love the framework, and structural forming and ideas that go into making such. I am contempt with Modern Landscape Architecture, but saddened by the fact it is so underestimated.

My question for all of the people here, who have been accepted, and seen what the school offers is:

Is it even remotely Possible for me to get into the Schools listed above, when i will hold a BLA, have a Decent Portfolio (with Studio Abroad Design), A Recommendation from a Professor I worked with for a semester whom graduated from Columbia, and then a Recommendation from my boss, in the Resident Assistant Office, ( as i am an RA).

I ask, for i am not sure if it is even smart to start graduate school immediately after Undergrad, or is the economy that bad, it would be smart to go straight into it. (finding job is difficult?)

Also one last thing, : my school is making a new 5 year MLA, and letting me have the option to stay here two more years, from now, to get that degree... should i stay, or get out there and try other schools.(Money is kind of an Issue) and try and become a professor with a degree from a bigger name school?

I am a florida Resident

Mar 26, 09 6:58 pm
cll123

Go to the CCA in San Francisco

Mar 27, 09 2:28 am  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

cranbrook

Mar 27, 09 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
ether

cranbrook blows. go to yale.

Mar 27, 09 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
cr8ve

Forget graduate School..go get a job!

Mar 27, 09 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
KR8VE

atelier, I could not agree with you more!

Mar 27, 09 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

it sounds like you want to continue your education in design...you graduate next year? if your program is offering you one additional year to get your masters, why would you not do that? if you go to another school for MLA after graduation, it will take longer than that. And if you want to teach one day, having that will only benefit you. then after you get your MLA, go work for a few years and during that time research other schools for another masters. an MARCH combined with undergrad landscape is pretty popular for professors. hopefully by the time you graduate with your MLA (in two years, right?) the economy will be on the upswing and you can find a job.

Mar 28, 09 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
ArcHippie

123, and dozer.....
I have never heard of those schools, thank you for the suggestion!

I have heard Yale has very nice and chill aspects, but doe it really rely alot on the tectonics of architecture more than the formwork and art merit?

As far as jobs go, finding one is going to be hard is it not? I know we have some more years waiting for us, but i do not know if starting up will make me lose future plans for school.

Yes i will graduate next year most likely, but the new MLA program here has had some holes. Since i am going to study abraod, i have missed classes required for it, adding more coursework, and ANOTHER year, maknig me graduate in three more years. So i do not think i want to go on with the MLA here. Plus i want to get out of MIAMI and see a new school and learn more.

Continuing my education is my prioirty i guess. I just am not sure where to go, with what school fits my style? (formwork.artsy. LA, Arch. calm. and School enviroment) Also, with my credentials, will i be able to obtain a scholarship and get into any of the schools listed?

Is the Dual Program at Penn a smart idea? and Yes, Being is Professor is a really big want. Should i even go for an MLA, or just go ahead for the Arch?

Mar 28, 09 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: