Archinect
anchor

Hiring vs layoff in Portland & Seattle?

DJ7910

Can anyone in those markets give us a status on the profession in those two markets?

Does anyone have information about what construction or alt design sectors that are doing well and possibly hiring?

Thanks!

Mar 25, 09 3:02 pm
med.

Read the gigantic "layoffs layoffs" thread. Seattle came up several times I believe...

Mar 25, 09 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

Nothing is going on in Portland, at least locally. A good indication is that the planning offices there have been shrinking-- so less planners means less building permits.

Mar 25, 09 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

offices that have a public project portfolio may be doing okay. i know that there have been several RFP's for city/ county/ state/ higher ed work. my office has recently been awarded small public stuff, but we're not hiring.

if an office has a significant portfolio in private development, they're probably half the size they were a year ago, doing layoffs again and not hiring. just my sense.

my impression of the local economy is okay. . . not bad, not good, just merely surviving and getting creative on keeping staff.

Mar 25, 09 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Young Architect

Yeah, i work for a small firm in portland. everyone in town is letting people go or cutting back on hours.

Our government funded jobs are keeping us busy, those contracts have been arranged years ago. there isnt much else coming in as far as work goes.

My bosses are working like crazy chasing after work, but havent had much luck.

I worry that if i lose my job it may be awhile before firms start hiring again.

It seemed to me the Portland job market was a little rough even before this economy went into bad times.

my $0.02

Mar 25, 09 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
joe

after being laid off in another city and thinking Portland would be easier and better to start a new job and life. I have to say no. nobody is hiring. I have two years of experience and yada yada yada. the market for finding a job here is very tough. I have been in Portland actively looking for a job since October. I've tried the local colleges for contacts and help. local contractors to try and get some construction experience. various city offices, real estate developers. the 11x homes tour to try and meet some of these people and put a name to a face. the only thing I have heard is no we are not hiring, and from people who will say a little more, not to expect a job until the end of next year and that they are struggling to keep the staffs they have and cant think of hiring. also I have heard that healthcare and govt are pretty much the only things going right now.

the market may be not bad, not good, and just merely survivable IF you have a job. once you loose it its like climbing a mountain to get another. also locally the unemployment rate is higher than the national average. its double digits now and everyone is feeling the crunch. I mean when you have to have verifiable references and two years of experience to wash dishes there is a problem. there is just a flood of talented people out there now. in all fields.

so if anyone reading this is interested let me know I need some job help!

Mar 25, 09 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
lesro

i have several friends in seattle whom have lost their jobs in firms of all levels within the last four months. another friend had moved out to seattle about six months back searching for employement, and even landed several interviews but the response was typically the same "the economy is not looking stable enough for us to hire right now".

Mar 25, 09 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

Seattle market? dead as a door nail.

Mar 26, 09 3:48 am  · 
 · 

I haven't heard of someone hiring in at least six months. There's layoffs and paycuts everywhere here (Seattle), and anyone who has a job still is holding tight.

Mar 26, 09 11:31 am  · 
 · 
emaze

can't be good when entire firms are closing their doors.

Mar 26, 09 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
DJ7910

Thanks for the responses.

This is truely the worst I've seen since the 80's and the 90's recessions.

Are there any bright spots on the west side of the Rockies or anywhere in the US?

Should we all just move to Detriot for cheap housing an live the Bohemian life or some second world country for their emerging economies??

Thanks.

Mar 27, 09 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: