Archinect
anchor

Umich, Uva, UIUC or WUSTL?

chougon

I have got 4 admissions till now, and find it hard to choose:-P So...want to hear some suggestions here.

Fisrt something about myself. I am an international student so all my information about schools are from friends and internet. I prefer some practical programs, but friends told me all US schools are turning to digital:-P I plan also to practice for one or two year in the US after graduation so want some information about the reputation and rate of graduation employment as well.

And something about schools:

Umich-March II
>Offered $20,000 for two years
>have not much idea, but from their portfolio, the program is cool

Uva-March Path B
>No scholarship till now. And the school told me the chance for international students are limited there:-(
>A nice and smaller program, maybe better for my study:-)

UIUC-March II
>Still waiting financial aid decision, maybe cannot get before April, 15th:-(
>not know much about it, but heard it is more practical

WUSTL-March II
>still waiting financial aid decision
>A great school but many told me that the location is not so good

THX & eager to hear your advices:-)

Mar 24, 09 8:08 am
+2

First Congratulations! Though I'm sure this wont help with your decision, you have been selected to a great bunch of schools. Having options always puts you in charge, and it appears that you have some great options...

I am finishing up at Virginia Tech now (MArch II), but a couple years ago when I was applying, I applied to just about the same bunch of schools (I was accepted to UVA, UM, UIUC also). Normally, I avoid these types of threads because ultimately the decision needs to be so personal, and 90% of what you are going to read on here includes some sort of bias...BUT...since we had a bit in common I though that I may be able to offer an opinion (NOTE: it is only an opinion)

I personally know some guys that go to UVA now, and because I am a VTech student, I occasionally get to see some of their work. It appears that their work is ok, seems to be a bit practical which is what your looking for. Im not sure about their research interests, and/or the faculty there. I would say though all 4 schools you selected are practical in a sense, Michigan being the least of them. Michigan, though, in my humble opinion seems to be the most progressive, and seems to have the most energy behind it, presently speaking. When I was accepted there, I had the chance to visit, and I really enjoyed their direction and their faculty. They also encourage everyone to participate in study abroad (I know they used to offer money to anyone wishing to go, not sure if they still do), which was a plus for me. I hate to say one school over another, because school (no matter what school you attend) is what you make of it. I would definitely consider the financial offers if money is of concern to you (Tech offered me the most money and well...Im a Tech student)

Though this never appears on the rankings, I would suggest you pay very close attention to the location as well. None of the schools you selected are in huge, thriving US cities, but you may want to think about where you may want to live. Obviously you wont be married to the city that you go to school in, but it is a good idea to study somewhere that you actually like...

I guess all this to say I dont think that you will go wrong with any of those choices. If you dont have a chance to visit the schools before making your selection, look at the courses that the schools offer. Often the electives that are available at each school tells you alot about what kind of school it is.

Good luck and Congrats again!

Mar 25, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: