Archinect
anchor

Work v.s. Study

xxpirloxx

In the field of architecture, is practical working experience more important than a Master degree in Architecture? or the other way around?

Do you guys think a MArch degree is necessity under the current competitive situation? Is it true that "job search" would be tougher without a master degree?

Mar 21, 09 12:49 am
binary

define 'practical'

Mar 21, 09 1:08 am  · 
 · 

if you have a b.arch, i don't think a master's will be impt to your job search.

if your degree is not a professional degree, however, (i.e., a b.a. or b.s. with an arch major) that could be a problem.

as one of our hiring team, i definitely look for someone with the potential to be an architect without having to go back to school.

Mar 21, 09 7:27 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

depends what state you are in

Mar 21, 09 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
velo

Any employer looking to hire wants someone with practical experience - can do drawings, knows drawing conventions, and can work on a project. Having an M.Arch, without any working experience is a tough sell, few can spend time teaching about construction set practices.

Having said that, after a couple of years experience M.Arch's are desirable because they can do more than just drawings. By that time they're typically given a wider range of duties and different roles which expand their knowledge to a more intermediate and seasoned level.

Employers don't have the same expectations of growth from non-M.Arch or non-B.Arch employees (people not on the professional path). So their development and experienced is mostly focused on drawing.

Mar 21, 09 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
oussama

hi every one look im new in this and im in the first years architecture in the uneversiti and i like to make some friends to give some edvice ok so i hope i finde

Mar 22, 09 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

My personal opinion is if you have BArch you don't need to go for MArch,it is a waste of time and money. If you have BArch just get professional experience. Although people with professional and non-professional degrees make the same money after graduation people with non-professional degrees tend to stay as CAD monkeys(thus lower salary) for longer periods of time but I've also seen many people with non-professional degrees become successful in profession it all depends on your ambition and will. I don't think MArch will give you more advantage in employment. I've seen student work in MArch and no offense but it is all pretty 3D renderings,nothing else. What employers ask themselves when they interview an employer is "Can this person contribute to my company and help me make more money?" Ask yourself you'll have 7 years of education but what can you really contribute to the company? Lots of people go for the same route:they get more and more education but they skip self-improvement. As a result they become over-educated fools.How you market yourself is the most important thing when getting a job.

Mar 22, 09 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

I think it depends on where you get your MArch/BArch. If you go to a respected school it can greatly influence where you will work, for how much, and how your quality of life at the firm will be.

Also, it really matters how thorough the job placement and alumni relations are at your university. The "Old Boys Network" is alive and well, and any sort of additional personal identification that a future employer may have with you can give you that leg up to find a job and get a better salary.

Mar 22, 09 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
xxpirloxx

Thanks for all your thoughts.

The reason why I was asking this is that I started working in an architecture practice and I enjoy working there. That was right after I started my grad school applications. I gained admission to a few prestigious schools, but at the same time I really want to accumulate my practical experience. I know jobs are hard to find these days, hence "work v.s. study". Seems like giving up either one is a big loss.

Mar 28, 09 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
DFW-Arch

"In the field of architecture, is practical working experience more important than a Master degree in Architecture? or the other way around? "

I've worked in architecture for 24 years and have been in charge of hiring for a couple of firms. Practical experience is MUCH more important in my opinion. I am amazed at how little people learn from most master degree programs out there. Frankly, I don't care where someone went to school, what their grades were, what their college portfolio looks like or what classes they took when it comes to hiring. I am interested in what software packages they're proficient in and what type of personality they have. All college graduates need immense training in the workplace, that's a given.

"Do you guys think a MArch degree is necessity under the current competitive situation? Is it true that "job search" would be tougher without a master degree?"

Get whatever minimum degree you can to obtain registration in your state. Anything more in my opinion is a waste of your time and money (unless you plan to go into the academic world, they place a lot more value on sheepskin).

Mar 29, 09 1:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: