Archinect
anchor

What should I do to improve my architecture skills?

Bilal Ozdemir

Hi everyone!!

I'm a college student preparing to transfer to an architecture school. I have always had a passion towards architecture with its history, but more with its design. Through out my childhood I had always drawn and drawn but I never done it professionally and I never improved myself going to art schools or taking art classes. I have been wanting to become an designer since the first day I drawn but after seeing the architecture field I have said to myself this is the career in the future. In the past years in high school I had interviews with architects and their first question to me was "are you a left hand?" I am a left handed person and I believe I have a great potential of becoming an architect in the future. I have researched architects and architecture students complain every time with the difficulties studying  but I'm going into this field knowing there is going to be hard times. Like I said I have a passion towards architecture and all I can say is that "every rose has its thorns." In my high school years I have worked on Autocad, Revit, and somewhat Archicad. I have always done some stuff on sketchup unprofessionally. During my high school years I had got really good responses from teachers. But, I want to improve more and more so I'm asking all the architects in this field and architecture students What can I do to improve my skills? Which program is the most used in this field? Is there any books or documentaries about architecture you would recommend for me? I'm looking towards your helpful advices from your worthful experiences.

Thank you so much,

Nov 17, 13 3:18 pm

The are you left handed question seems irrelevant. I wouldn't say architecture school is hard, it is time consuming though. What schools are you applying to? That would help give you some specific insight on different programs out there. As far as books go, I think some of the Francis Ching books are standard issue across the country.

Nov 17, 13 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
Bilal Ozdemir

Right now, I'm planing to transfer to Illinois Institute of Technology. I think they have a great architecture program. The BA of Arch 5 year professional degree seems the best option for me rather than BS Arch Studies pre-professional degree. I believe this 5 year degree is more the about design part of architecture which means designing is going to be more advanced. What can I do start developing my designing in advance?

Nov 19, 13 1:01 am  · 
 · 

If I were you I would look at Chicago's history, as far as architecture goes, there's a lot to look at there. A good place to start is Crown Hall, where you will spend most of your time, draw/analyze some of these spaces.

Nov 19, 13 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

The B Arch 5 year program is potentualy limiting. It must bean NAAB accredited degree. they have a list on line. Getting a masters is probably a better route in that it offers more flexibility and it can reduce the length of your internship IDP period if you want to become a licensed architect.

On another note IIT is hosting the AIAS American Institute of Architecture Student's Forum.  It is worth the cost because you will meet hundreds of students and dozens of professionals.  All of those students will be able to give you insight into their program and you may discover a better fit than IIT for design or financial reasons you should look around and for a week thousands of folks from hundreds of schools will be in one spot.  It is expensive $700 but considering the magnitude of the decision you are about to make this networking opportunity and the opportunity to see the IIT campus and meet many students from other schools who are more than eager to talk to you about their programs good bad and ugly, this may be a worth while investment.

http://aiasforum2013.com/

Over and OUT

Peter N

Nov 20, 13 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I recommend basic drawing and basic design courses, but IIT looks like it's coming on quickly since you are already a college student.  I also recommend doing a lot of reading of the architectural magazines and, mostly, the critiques of projects.  The Ching books are eternal, it seems.  They're stashed away somewhere.  Find a Ching book, or other book, that spends time discussing spatial organization, so you grasp both the concepts and the vocabulary.  The Ching book, or other book, will also tip you on how to depict things as is done in architecture.  Then, making the connection is up to you - bridging the concept of spatial organization with the graphics that describe them, in school and in the world of work.  Just because a person knows some AutoCAD and Revit doesn't mean you shouldn't develop freehand graphic skills.  You should.   One final word:  the theories of spatial organization don't change, and the vocabulary doesn't change, either, but the way you cloak or detail the building does.  That aspect of architecture is in fact trendy.

Nov 20, 13 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Construction.

Nov 20, 13 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: