Archinect
anchor

Summer program or Physics/Calculus at community college

k_cous

OK so I have to decide whether to take physics and/or calculus this summer before starting a M.Arch program in the fall or to participate in a 14-week summer program in urban design/ architecture. With my employee benefits at a major university, community college courses will only be $150. The summer program is full tuition and housing plus a $1000 stipend each month. The program has a one month academic component followed by a 10 week internship at a firm.

I'm not sure if it will be better to do this program and get some experience or to take care of my physics/ calculus requirement before starting grad school in the fall.

oh p.s. if I take class I'll be working full time and making $1300 a month while taking class at night.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help...I didn't hear about the program until last week and the deadline is march 31st

Mar 16, 09 10:06 am
Living in Gin

Have you already been admitted to a specific M.Arch. program and decided to enroll there? If so, you should be asking an advisor in that program and not us.

Assuming A) you've been admitted to a specific program and have decided to enroll there, and B) this program requires you to have completed calculus and physics before you enroll, then I'd say you'll need to suck it up and take calculus and physics this summer.

Your only other options would be to take those classes concurrently with your first semester of grad school (if permitted, but I wouldn't recommend it, as you'd be adding to an already intense workload), or to find a community college that operates on a quarter system and take those classes during the spring quarter if it's not already too late.

Also, keep in mind that most calculus and physics classes have prerequisites of their own you may need to fulfill depending on placement test results, such as college algebra and/or pre-calc.

You'll have the rest of your career to study urban design and get office experience, but you only have a few months to fulfill mandatory prerequisites for grad school. Otherwise, you risk showing up on campus and being told you're not eligible to register for classes in your M.Arch. program.

Mar 16, 09 11:54 am  · 
 · 
k_cous

Thanks Gin, yea I got into IIT so far and I'm waiting to hear from other schools. I took calculus in undergrad and I didn't do that well, so I know I will have to re-take that most likely and take physics but at the same time I know I already have the prerequisites for them. Its just not very often that you find a program that is fully funded plus a living stipend or do a lot of these programs exist?

Mar 16, 09 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I don't know the details of this summer program, but for most grad programs (especially ones like IIT, I'd imagine), calculus and physics prerequisites are non-negotiable, and you won't be permitted to register for classes in the fall unless you've met those prerequisites.

With that in mind, it doesn't really matter what the summer program is offering you if it means not being able to start your M.Arch. in the fall. So, what's more important to you: the summer program, or your M.Arch.?

Regardless, this is a question best suited for an advisor at whatever school you've chosen to enroll in. Maybe some schools will give some flexibility on the calc/physics prerequisites, but you'd have to ask them first.

Mar 16, 09 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
k_cous

Thanks again for the advice

Mar 16, 09 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: