Archinect
anchor

Stripping mental ray out of a .max file

Urbanist

I'm having a rather frustrating time stripping 3ds Max 9 mental ray architectural settings (including those .dll's mental ray seems to drop everywhere) out of a max file in order to export the geometry to another max station running Final Render. I've purged the mental ray specific textures from the materials editor, applied default non-mental ray standard gray to all geometry, and swipped the renderer back to default scanline (no effects are in force, and no weird modifiers). Then saved the file.. only I still can't open the file on the other machine... the error message says that mental ray .dll's are still present.

Exporting as .obj, .dxf and .3ds works, but with all the usual limitations.

Any ideas?

Mar 13, 09 10:41 pm
rehiggins

oof…MR is such a pain in the ass

the version of MAX is the same, yes?

There's no option to force the file to open regardless of the missing .dlls?? I vaguely remember having this issue with final render before and finding a workaround (using max5.1 and stage 1)…does merging the scene with a new scene work? Does adding a FRdirt material to a new scene, then merging the geometry into it work (FRdirt causes, or used to cause, all kinds of wacky problems)?

I don't have a version of max handy (and it's been a while since I've used it heavily), but is there a "save geometry only" option? or can you export only the selected geometry to .max file type?

Does an .fbx export work for you? this would probably be the best bet for maintaining file integrity if you can't use .max…

Mar 14, 09 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

thanks for the suggestions. I'll try and merge and fbx conversion when I go
back into work. Hadn't thought about a scene merge... guess that should've been one of the things to try. Yes, same version and and same build. MR's like a virus ;-P

Mar 14, 09 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: