Archinect
anchor

speed architecturing

rockandhill

I was thoroughly enjoying the Chicago thread-- when I came across a post about a Chicago architecture blog and how blogs just kind of re-hash the same content over and over again without generating any new content.

So, this got me thinking... could archinect flex its muscles and make some original content?

The premise is, since we're all over the place, to design a building in 4 hours. Nothing too grand or too intricate (unless you're that good) and nothing too big but too small.

The rules of the content contest:

-- When you post with "I'm game," you have approximately 4 hours to design a shell (or more if you'd like) of a building.

-- The building must be between 8-12 stories tall (no limitation on the size of the stories). No penalty for atriums, large open spaces et cetera but there should be a delineation of different floors somewhere.

-- No footprint bigger than 2 New York blocks "264 by 900 feet (80 m × 274 m)" but no smaller than 1/8th an acre.

-- Should be fairly urban but no penalty for anything exciting or daring.

-- Hand drawn or rendered is fine (I will be using SketchUp and exporting the EPS lines to make it fancy in Illustrator).

-- Front, Back, Side and ISO views (at least three of the 4 options).

-- Any use is acceptable but you only have less than 100 words to describe the intention of the building with an additional 50 words to describe the material.

Sound good?

Mar 11, 09 11:37 pm
gold spot

Why??

Mar 12, 09 12:55 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

I'm game!

(since i'm an undergrad intern and there's like nothing to do right now at work, ha ha)

Mar 12, 09 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Im interested to see what people do. Good luck jk3hl!

Mar 12, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Ok, so I finished in 3:30 hrs!

I wanted my site to be urban and dense, and I even spiced things up by dividing it over an intersection. I figured my building would be some sort of cultural/community center - something that could benefit from open exhibition spaces and recreational or gathering areas up on the building roof. As precedent or concept, I essentially just chose two words, 'subtractive' and 'radial' to sort of guide my design. As you can see I really just got a bare bones model of the shell and site down, but the gist of the project is there! As far as materiality goes, I was thinking reinforced concrete in conjunction with that curtain wall. What would also be cool is if the roof space was at least partially vegetated or 'green'. That would probably be impossible with the slope, but oh well! Here are a few perspectives for everyone.

Mar 12, 09 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Dang, you're fast. I like it. Seems more museum to me, though. Nice.

Mar 12, 09 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

I'm going to get up on this in a bit.

I got some other stuff to work on but... I should be starting soon.

Jk3, dang, that's snazzy.

Mar 12, 09 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Very impressive, Jk3. rockandhill: great idea!

Mar 12, 09 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

i second that emotion -- great idea, rockandhill! dang!

Mar 13, 09 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

bump! someone else participate! >_>

Mar 13, 09 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

I'm game!

This is probably the first time I've done anything architectural to be seen by any architects.

Mar 15, 09 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

I have to pause this for about an hour. I gotta get driving because I have a concert to go to tonight and there's a space shuttle launch. The roads are pretty awful and I need to get on them before it goes.

I'm at 2:30 into it. I probably will fail on the time limitation.

Mar 15, 09 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

this is awesome. At first when I read it I was like wondering about the constraints and how awfully Americana and obvious which city it would represent. Until I saw jk3hl's work. Damn you are fast - I guess we could call this an online charrette meets a flash mob. Amazing.

So when do we get to critique the work?

Mar 15, 09 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

hell, critique away! hopefully rock gets his work up soon!

Mar 15, 09 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

I failed on this. Bad time management.

I already broke at least one rule.

This is what I got. I will finish it soon.

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww124/hampshiresire/church.jpg

Mar 17, 09 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: