Archinect
anchor

what do you do at work as an architect?

bleu

Recently a non architect asked me that question, and I could have said " i create, i design, come up with an idea etc". The truth is i dont design at all, in the literal sense.
I have been in the profession a while, went to graduate school, and still do enjoy architecture.
Yet at this point I work towards getting things done for a project than actually creating or designing anything.
Nothing is created by me. I merely take others ideas and draw it and make it work. The place I work in segregates designers from the rest of the staff. And, i am segregated to not have the "authority" to design on my own.

i am ok with the situation most of the time, but sometimes it can bother me a lot.
Are there others in this position?

i know with the current economy i should be happy i still have a job, but i would still like to know if there are others like me....

Mar 11, 09 11:07 pm
24-7tecture

I was like you - than I left my job last spetember to a new job in chicago and it went belly up. I would hold on to the job you have for now and start looking for a new one when the economy bounces back. You may want to do some competitions in the mean time

Mar 12, 09 12:35 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

im like you, dont worry, im hopeful though

Mar 12, 09 4:34 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

and young, but, i have to say, you have to bite the bullet,, it;ll suck for a while, i know i think it sucks

Mar 12, 09 4:36 am  · 
 · 

you will learn things that help you become a better designer. i know it sounds like bullshit, but it's true.

do your stint there and then i'd suggest trying a smaller firm when things get more healthy economicallly and you can find a stable place. then you'll have more opportunities to follow projects from start to finish.

...and it won't be a sink-or-swim situation like it is for many green interns dropped into full responsibility for projects: you will have already had this experience and might better understand the client/firm/contractor context of your design decisions.

Mar 12, 09 7:36 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Yet at this point I work towards getting things done for a project...

This is actually an excellent description of what internship is. And as Steven said above, learning how to work on a project will teach you how to better manage the project you eventually end up being able to design on your own.

I worked summer internships for four years then had 7 years of internship before getting licensed. If I had to calculate, I'd say I spent maybe 10% of that time doing anything remotely resembling "designing" - which usually meant the boss had come up with a scheme and I was able to design some small aspect of it like a reception desk or the floor pattern.

Now I'm self-employed and I'd say I spend 25% of my time designing and the rest implementing. But I LOVE the implementation process! I don't feel I'm missing out because I don't have an intern of my own to do the "getting done" part of the work. It's all fun, to me, and all design.

Also true, as Steven said, that smaller firms tend to offer more opportunity to design, along with being involved in every other aspect of getting architecture done.

Hang in there - and get that registration; it gives you much greater flexibility in what you can do.

Mar 12, 09 9:09 am  · 
 · 
4arch

LB,

it's not clear to me that bleu's not registered.

bleu,

While I agree with some of the other posters that you can and should come to view your current situation as an opportunity to learn and grow (after all, there's nothing more frustrating than a designer who doesn't have a clue about how things are built), it sounds like you also need to take a more proactive approach to selling your design skills to your firm.

First, it's important to let your bosses know what you want to do. If you have annual or semi-annual performance reviews, that's the perfect time to do it. If you just keep telling them you're happy, they won't give you other opportunities. They'll just assume you're content being the go-to person for toilet partitions (or whatever it is you keep getting stuck with).

Second, I'm sure that within these things where you are taking the senior designer's ideas and just "making them work" there are plenty of small scale opportunities for design. (e.g. how are transitions between materials handled?; how does an awkward corner condition resolve itself?; how are all the parts of that beautiful monumental stair held up and held together?; etc...) When these situations arise, what do you do? Do you go back to the designers and ask them to tell you what they want? If you do, they'll always see you as just a draftsman. It would be better to at least take a stab at figuring out the details, possibly working up a few options for more complex things, and then letting them comment. Even if they don't like what you've done, they'll at least see that you're able to think like a designer and to bring ideas to the table. Eventually you'll get more and more comfortable putting you ideas forward.

Mar 12, 09 10:27 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I think entering competitions is a great idea. I'm an intern in a small office, and fortunately get to see a project all the way through (though with little design input), but I've done a few competitions in my own time, and it's a great way to stay on top of your game and work out some of your own ideas and interests.

Mar 12, 09 10:53 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

At a previous job my boss and I would sketch out designs on trace paper, I'd transfer it into a flashy photoshop presentation board and then we'd present it to the client. If approved I'd move those schematics into dimensioned DD drawings and eventually pass it off to the CD team. That's the closest I've ever been to being a "designer."

Today I'm a project architect/manager seeing that the design gets documented and built. Mostly managing a CD team and handling all CA work. I actually much prefer this side as I'm getting to see the work get built and work out the realities of the design. Who was it again that said "god is in the details." I agree.

When people ask what I do my answer is "I'm the guy that makes sure a design can get built - and then see that it does."

Mar 12, 09 11:00 am  · 
 · 

yes to 4arch. you should never stop trying to put yourself out there as able to do more.

be available for design, even small stuff, and treat each seemingly non-design-oriented problem as an opportunity to think about design.

(note: that doesn't mean that everything needs over-the-top in-your-face design. i see way too much of that from my team. right-size the design, based on what you know about the project and the client's needs. in fact, if your design input is sometimes a reduction of what's being done, that can look good too.)

Mar 12, 09 11:01 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

It seems to me that blue is suffering from the team

"Nothing is created by me. I merely take others ideas and draw it and make it work. The place I work in segregates designers from the rest of the staff. And, i am segregated to not have the "authority" to design on my own."

Perhaps the management style and team dynamics does not allow for inclusion to the level you aspire. That is not necessarily your fault.

My experience is that management of the team is as important as the outputs for any given design. All have to feel a part of output. I spend some of my time facilitating interaction between disgruntled team members such as yourself from more 'focused' architects. It's all part of the course.

I don't think keeping quiet in times of economic downturn is a valid reason for not raising this at an appropriate review or prepared discussion. Perhaps not just before the next round of redundancies though.

Mar 12, 09 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

....... the same may apply to bleu!

Mar 12, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
bleu

Thank you for all the responses...and a lot of good advice

I am not registered and I am not an intern.
In the review last year i told my principal that i would like to work towards becoming a PA/PM..and now i feel trapped in the role.
I always thought that an architect should design, work out the details and know how to put it together.
I am annoyed that there is a designer who designs, and then all the rest of us put things together..

this is the way the large firm i work at functions and its exasperating.
i agree that there is design in everything we do, but not having the authority to make the decisions angers me.

i have about 7-8 years of work experience which spans 2 countries.i have just 2.5 years of experience in the States though.. this is my first time in a large corporate firm and i dont like it much..
anyways...after this where ever i am in the world, it will be a small firm for me..

Mar 12, 09 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: