Archinect
anchor

hell's kitchen

no_form

All,

Could people help me out identifying current socio-economic conditions in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood?  

To further elaborate as to what I mean; demographic composition of neighborhood (including who is a U.S. citizen and who isn't), real estate prices for housing, formal economic activities that predominate such as theatre, industry (textiles, machining, etc), informal economic activities (organized crime, drugs, prostitution, food markets, retailing, street fairs, etc).  

While census data, film, and historical texts are useful it only takes one so far.  It would be great to hear from former and current residents, but all input is appreciated and valuable. 

Thank you all.  

Nov 14, 13 4:23 pm
Non Sequitur

Too much Gordon Ramsay yelling?

Nov 14, 13 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
spqr

Hell's Kitchen is a neighborhood undergoing gentrification. Rent prices are definitely catching up with other Manhattan neighborhoods and people who work in the area typically can't afford to live in the area. It's hundreds of restaurants [which cater to theatre-going crowds and also regular foodies] are probably one of Hell's Kitchen's most important economic activities. Yes there's a flea market. Demographically, it has a growing and sizable population of young gay men and, as a result, there are many gay-friendly apparel stores and restaurants//bars. West of 10th Ave, a lot of "service" amenities are found in Hell's Kitchen, including gas stations, car dealerships, and car washes.

Nov 14, 13 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

hELLS kITCHEn= pARTY mONsAtR!

Nov 15, 13 12:50 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Shut up detwan
Nov 15, 13 7:03 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I have lived in the States for about 23 years now and moved to this neighborhood when I first emigrated... It used to be called Clinton and used to be a very poor neighborhood. I second the fact that is is currently going through gentrification, partly because of the Hudson Yards project and the highline directly south of the neighborhood. Also, the revamping of Lincoln Center, the Juilliard School of Music, as well as Donald Trump's investment in property on he waterfront and its consequent effect on the public space along the Hudson river have all contributed to rising costs in the area. I am not convinced that Hell's Kitchen has the best food though... Good Ramen houses- sure... Other food- not really that great... Loads of gay bars though (have a few gay friends who tell me its great a great are for that), but in terms of night life its not as "upscale" as the Meat Packing District. I would say the feel of the neighborhood, combined with some parts of Amsterdam Avenue, is kind of trashy and caters to a younger less pretentious and less sophisticated crowd (more American than international). The further you go East toward Broadway however, the more this changes.

Look at the history if the neighborhood... You have ship yards on the riverfront and a highway... It used to be that trains used to run there too until Robert Moses came in and decided to introduce trucks and roads there... At one point you also had car dealerships every other block...(and there still are a lot of them) especially in the 50's (street#).

one thing Hell's Kitchen does not have a lot of is Housing Projects... There is only one that I can think of and its in the 60's right behind Lincoln Center... That is because some lawyer for the city wrote the law in a way that allowed for provision of Section 8 housing, but never specified where it would be... This loop hole (if you will) allowed city planners to stick the majority if these low income housing blocks mostly out of site like in the Bronx or way uptown on Park Avenue or around Columbia's campus.... since Manhattan is kind of a long island you can see how one change in a neighborhood relates to others in other parts of the island... 

sorry for the random information... Hope this helps a little...

Nov 16, 13 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Very cool, BB.  I like this kind of neighborhood profiling, though I wonder if the easily offended on here might find it as something to pick a fight over. 

I'm reading the tourist books on New Orleans trying to get the lay of the land, never having been there.  It's sensory overload.  I once picked up an actual publication called 'Emmaneger a Montreal,' or something like that, for potential newcomers, and all the neighborhoods were profiled in colorful and interesting language.  They don't use words like trashy and pretentious, like you did, which is great, but they diplomatically conveyed much the same information for those reading between the lines.  I walked through Plateau du Mont-Royal which is where all the Anglophone hipsters and granolas who have to live in Montreal seem to end up.  I had to get out of there. 

Manhattan is crazy.  It changes personality drastically in just a matter of blocks. I'm sure the OP will find this a good baseline.

Nov 16, 13 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I obviously was over simplifying and didn't mean to offend anyone, but the bottom line is... that's how New Yorkers refer to these kind of neighborhoods anyway... with colorful language...

I can't imagine how these words can be more colorful than the Toronto mayor's description of "how much (he) has to eat at home..." haha ;) youtube it if you don't know what I am talking about... 

Nov 16, 13 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
observant

No, I'm not offended, but those who aren't around that much diversity, and don't identify with a culture in addition to the American one, get irked when you label things ... anything.  I grew up in a city where it's a free for all when talking about neighborhoods and who lives there, and there is all kinds of colorful language used, in addition to sometimes crude language, and it can be fun(ny).  That's all.

Nov 16, 13 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

its called hells kitchen.

its new york city.

I think everyone can take it.

Nov 18, 13 1:21 am  · 
 · 
no_form

Hi BB & SPQR,

Thanks for such a thorough discussion about your experience and knowledge of the neighborhood.  It's interesting that both of you mentioned that the gay community is becoming more established there.  Any speculations as to why?  Additionally, thanks for explaining to me about the development of the site over time.  In terms of the transportation/shipping infrastructure it seems much more complex than any other part of manhattan.  

Nov 18, 13 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
spqr

I've heard (but have no idea if it's true, or what the real reasons may be) that Hell's Kitchen is kind of the "younger" version of Chelsea (immediately to the South), where the gay population is a bit older.

Nov 18, 13 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Well actually- the real "gayborhood" is in Greenwhich Village where I spent most of my life in Manhattan. I went from Hell's Kitchen as a young boy, to Greenwhich Village (lived there with my parents until college- they still live there) and now on the Upper West Side. 

^spqr

I don't know if that is true, but if it would be interesting to see the statistics... 

^rob_c

The transportation infrastructure is actually one of the more interesting things about the neighborhood since I still consider it kind of an industrial part of town. If you actually visit the riverfront on the upper west side there is some abandoned industrial infrastructure... Google Transfer Bridge

Nov 19, 13 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

As far as why its a popular gay spot- I don't know exactly why, but here are speculations...

Because Hell's Kitchen is still relatively cheap in terms of commercial rent, many restaurants still find it to be an excellent location to draw crowds from the established tourist locations of 42nd street. The neighborhood therefore affords restaurants and bars to be in close proximity to tourist hubs without charging incredibly high prices. Combined with its industrial/hip feel, the neighborhood allows people with less money to still enjoy the ambiance within Manhattan at a "discount" price. LGBT's are like any other group in this way, and therefore enjoy the same benefits of affordability that non LGBT's do. 

Nov 19, 13 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Why this obsession with being a Manhattanite?  And I'm tossing this out in general, BB, and not at you.  I'd almost rather be a "BBQ."  There are now so many interesting and gentrified parts of Brooklyn, complete with transit, though The Heights would be cost prohibitive.  There are even nice areas in the Bronx, and there are areas there for foodies.  Sheez.  I would just live in Forest Hills, Queens and take the E/F train directly into Manhattan if I lived in tri-state.  Most of Forest Hills is very nice and has a lot of hip spots along Austin Avenue.  Plus, that borough has the best accent.

In a way, I find it sad that Manhattan defines NYC to Americans ... and the entire world.  It only houses ~ 25% of the city's population.

Nov 19, 13 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

^

I was answering a question about Hell's kitchen. 

I had many friends from other Boroughs. Williamsburg, Astoria, Forest Hills. All have hip spots... but I think that  Manhattan is fascinating to a lot of people because its at the center of attention in Hollywood movies... I'm not saying this is right, but it is what it is... 

On the other hand, I love Manhattan... I grew up here and there are many things I can't find in other boroughs. But this discussion isn't about my likes and dislikes of NYC Boroughs. I can start another thread on this if you wish, Observant. 

But let's face it... if you had the means and the opportunity to live anywhere in the city, living/working in Manhattan does sound impressive. You sure as hell wouldn't be proud to say, "Yeah! I live in South Central!" if you were from LA. 

Nov 19, 13 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

according to the NYT Hell’s Kitchen: (is) Sizzling

Nov 25, 13 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: