Archinect
anchor

DesignIntelligence 2014

bocefusmouse

The DI rankings have been released.  Can anyone share the information past the top 10 schools for undergraduate / graduate architecture and landscape architecture please?

Nov 14, 13 8:20 pm
24arches

http://www.di.net/articles/america-s-best-architecture-schools-2014/

I hope in your future studies, you would spend the time to (re)search for things before asking and waiting for someone else to do the work.

Nov 15, 13 1:12 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

"I hope in your future studies, you would spend the time to (re)search for things before asking and waiting for someone else to do the work."

The link only states the top ten schools and compares their change in ranking... 

OP, I haven't been able to procure a full list of the rankings; Arch Record and ArchDaily only have the top ten and rankings in certain areas.  

I'm applying to grad school at the moment and so they pique my interest.  I'm not basing my selection on rankings but it's intriguing and I'd like to see the rest. (Actually I don't like them since my schools have moved up and so I feel more people will apply to them solely based on ranking creating more competition... I did extensive research into the school's pedagogies to figure out which ones align with my ideals).    

Nov 15, 13 7:04 am  · 
 · 
bocefusmouse
@SpatialSojourner - which schools did you narrow it down too.

@24arches - I am asking for the schools PAST the top 10. Re read the post. Maybe I should have written it better or clarified what i am searching for.

In years past there have been posts that show the full top 20 from previous Di Rankings. I was hoping someone out there who paid $40 or has that information, would be kind to share that info on here or another site for the architecture community.
Nov 15, 13 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
natematt
Look at last years and subtract the top ten from this year... That would probably give you 75% of them...
Nov 15, 13 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
24arches

If the ratings matter so much for you two, pay the $40 for the full content on DI. It's cheaper than an application to schools you otherwise wastefully apply to. Split it amongst yourselves and get the full content for half-price. 

Rankings either matter or don't to people. And saying that, you're either really invested in the top 10 or don't care beyond that. A lot more should make up a selection criteria than just where a program is placed in some ranking algorithm. If you hate the city and environment where the program is located, is it worth the expenses? If you dislike the faculty and academic setting, is it better to suffer?  If you love a place for various reasons, does its ranking matter? 

Nov 15, 13 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

24arches, calm down, I bet if you were applying to grad school you'd like to see them as well (Actually, I don't know you so I apologize for making such a bold assumption).  I know the rankings are vapid but would like a glance at the top 25 (just to see the reordering of last year's top 25 I always like rooting for the Cinderella story), I fall into the category in between matters leaning towards doesn't (thus no 40 bucks for them! I'd rather donate the money to Habitat for Humanity).  Society is captivated by rankings no matter how thin the veneer.

I was trying to convey in my previous post that I performed due diligence in procuring the list of schools that I'm applying to.  I conversed with students at schools, visited some schools, went through faculty lists, looked at student work posted online, and saw a plethora of portfolios of recent grads applying to the firm I work at.  I could give you a 2 page statement for each school explaining why I want to go to that school :P (If you'd like to edit them that'd be fantastic). I'm gaining IDP hours at the moment so grad school isn't a necessity but I need it to have the option to become licensed (Just so I can stop explaining to girls at bars that they can't call me an architect [I have better reasons, I promise {maybe}]).  

Nov 16, 13 10:02 am  · 
 · 
24arches

You're free to not give into social captivity by resisting rankings. USNews publishes that long list every year yet we're starting to see many reject its questionable methodology and juvenile purpose. Simply discount these things as frivolous and only one metric out of hundreds.

Or you can search endlessly or plead for someone else to literally buy into the logic, share with you the coveted data, and then continue to denounce it afterwards. Certainly makes yourself free from association, right? I mean, you're not paying to keep the wheels of a tired horse drawn cart spinning yet want part of the ultimate prize. I don't know why people think research like this is free. STEM is funded by grants and foundations and such, not just done out of pure goodness by dedicated servant scholars; humanities too, as well as other majors that turn observations into data, or simply conclusions drawn. Whoever put this list together spent a lot of money, or the very least raised private funds, so they have a system to keep intact and exclusive to recoup costs. Pay to access this valuable ($40) information and you will gain an advantage, like every other thing in life hindered by socioeconomic factors (SATs, college gaming, tutors, professional associations, higher education, country clubs, etc). Does it all matter though? Apparently it does even when you say so otherwise. 

If you've done all that work researching schools, would you really be dissuaded from say #22 if it dropped to #30 or 35? If #45, the crappy school you despised, suddenly jumped to #24 for whatever reason beyond a program overhaul, would you be more interested or still hate it? Rankings matter only to the extent of absolutes. Assuming all are equal, on par with each other, totally successful based on merit and results alone. But of course life is much more complex and a GSD or Yale graduate is just as likely as anyone else to be unemployed. Professors honestly are all capable of the same things and some places actually have an accessible faculty instead of graduate assistant fill-ins. 

Harvard or Yale or whoever is at the top of the list (and thus the world through the myopic lens) likes it when they're consistently recognized. They usually have enormous endowments, a hell of a brand to uphold, alumni to please, and certainly do provide a quality education that is the epitome of the social ladder dream. But one can be just as successful and dignified at their local college and produce works renowned by the town. Rankings mean very little but of course they fit perfectly in a world that has so many hidden hierarchies that still exist despite our awareness and criticisms of. I'm hoping you, as the future of this world, will actually do something about these structures. That is, if you desire this profession to have any sort of respect beyond being aloof artists. 

Nov 16, 13 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

You're singing to the choir, brotha.  It's like the BCS standings, I like looking to see where teams rank but that's not going to determine who I root for on Saturday (Alabama would be the GSD)

Schools are all unique entities like people. There can never be a definitive order for something so subjective.  Looking at a recent Architect Magazine, how can one rank NADAAA as the top design practice, or any of the other rankings?  But they're interesting and they aren't going to go away.  

I feel that I can be successful at whatever school I attend.  Studio is innately a social atmosphere where students can utilize each other to progress their skill sets and I feel it's more likely to be found a "top tier" school.  I feel the trend in "top tier" schools (potentially most schools) is a pedagogical model solely focused on creating starchitects but I would like to commix the pragmatic and the poetic (ie: Spatial Agency [my username is inspired from it]).  I went into the professional realm because I felt deprived of the pragmatic in academia and now I feel returning to academic I'll be able to harness the plethora of skills obtained during these internships. 

That being said, I went to a state school for undergrad that when I tell people in my current metro area, halfway across the USA, they immediately scoff at it but when the chips fall I'm employed and have had plenty of opportunities offered to me (recently jumping to another one).  I owe my skills to a professor who saw something and took the time to mentor me so I realize that local school's can be good (The professor and friends have all taken other opportunities and so I don't feel like there is much to gain by returning).  Ivy's aren't my top choice but I am applying to one.  Maybe I'm subscribing to the dominant discourse but I want to go to a school that has faculty who's work I've admired, students who are driven, and a location/environment that I enjoy.  I'll know if I made the correct choice in retrospect.             

Nov 16, 13 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
CultureofCon

Ok I couldn't take it anymore and my curiosity overcame my stinginess.  I bought it.  After all, when you buy the rankings, you get more than a just list of schools; it's 168 pages of surveys, articles, and other information that can be really helpful in choosing schools.  I still highly recommend buying the full report since their is SO much more information than just what they think the best schools are.  So with out any further ado, I present the 2014 DI Rankings:

Undergrad

1.Calif. Polytechnic State Univ., San Luis Obispo
2.Cornell University
3.Rice University
4.University of Texas at Austin
5.Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
6.Syracuse University
7.University of Southern California
8.Auburn University
9.Southern California Institute of Architecture
10.Rhode Island School of Design
11.Pratt Institute
12.University of Oregon
13.Pennsylvania State University
14.Illinois Institute of Technology
15.Carnegie Mellon University
16.California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
17.Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
18.University of Notre Dame
19.Iowa State University
20.University of Arizona

Graduate

1.Harvard University
2.Yale University
3.Columbia University
4.Massachusetts Institute of Technology
5.Cornell University
6.Rice University
7.University of Michigan
8.Kansas State University
9.University of California, Berkeley
10.University of Texas at Austin
11.Washington University in St. Louis
12.Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
13.Princeton University
14.University of Pennsylvania
15.University of Cincinnati
16.Clemson University
17.Georgia Institute of Technology
18.University of Virginia
19.University of California, Los Angeles
20.Texas A&M University

I pray to the architecture gods that DI does not smite me for this malfeasance

Dec 3, 13 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: