Archinect
anchor

export/import - 3dsmax/rhino

suwatch

facts:

i have a bunch of .max models from evermotion.
i don't use 3dsmax.
i am using rhino.
i have enough 3dsmax knowledge to use it to export .max files to 3ds for import to rhino (because rhino cannot import .max?) .

problem:

when i import the .3ds files into rhino all the pieces are in the wrong places.
for example: a chair - legs are to the left, seat is too high, and the back is rotated...etc.

what the heck is going on?

(in 3dsmax the model is constructed correctly)

many many thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 09 2:18 pm
Stasis

have you tried exporting as .obj in max to rhino?
that's what I use all the time and never had problem with it...

Mar 6, 09 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I've had problems with normals being flipped (probably due to nurbs conversion), with the midpoint of the entire scene getting zero-based to 0,0,0, with layers getting mushed together (but still in disentanglable groups), and with some curved geometries getting messed up, but never the type of disaggregation problem you seem to be describing. Are you sure that all of the layers you are importing are turned on prior to export?

Mar 6, 09 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

try collapsing the modifier stack in MAX (also make sure that the model is at the origin), then export as a .3ds--if you're using a current version of MAX it has a Rhino-optimized export setting that works well

Mar 6, 09 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
eCoDe

What I do is:
1. Collapse all modifiers in Max
2. Export the model as *.obj
3. Import the OBJ file to Rhino
4. Convert these meshes to nurbs in Rhino

Mar 6, 09 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

also.. make sure when you export from Max that there are no customized (renderer specific) materials mapped. In theory, this won't effect anything in an .obj or .3ds file, but for some reason, I've had problems with this in the past before.

Mar 6, 09 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
suwatch

many thanks to all. i will try all of this.

Mar 7, 09 10:31 am  · 
 · 
suwatch

export as .obj worked like a charm.

Mar 9, 09 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Allmanbros3

I am unfamiliar with 3ds max, when you go to collapse all your modifiers should the output type be mesh or modifier stack result? also should you collapse it to multiple objects of single object, and if single what should the boolean be set to. Thanks.

Mar 10, 14 2:53 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: