Archinect
anchor

NAAB accreditation?

iladcruz

I am an architect applying for masters degrees in architecture to the US> how important is it for the programs to be naab accredited from the professional point of view? many of the post-professional degrees are not accredited and does this affect employability?

Nov 12, 13 12:36 am
observant

If you want a license in the US, and even in Canada, it IS important for them to be accredited.  In Canada, there's another acronym, but their system is somewhat parallel in terms of the internship and possibly the exam.

If you already have the equivalent of a U.S. B.Arch. (5 year) and NAAB views it as equivalent after a credentialing agency analyzes it, then the accreditation at the master's level would not matter.  You wouldn't be going into a 2 year program.  You'd probably be going into a 1 year M.Arch. or M.S.Arch., and those are never accredited.  If you are coming with a 4 year bachelor's degree from abroad, and plan to stay, then having your 2+ year M.Arch. be NAAB accredited is very important.  Very few are not accredited, so I don't understand why this would come into play.

Also, I don't know the rules for licensing when a program is skirting either with acquiring, or losing, its accreditation?  I think it's what their status is when you graduate more so than when you start.  If someone knows the protocol on "tenuous" accreditation, chime in, but most schools are accredited for long enough windows of time.

Nov 12, 13 12:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: