Archinect
anchor

TWO-YEAR M.Arch I program???

mhtdby

Hi, 

I am applying for M.Arch I at the moment, and i'm hoping to get into a 2-year or 2.5-year program instead of 3-year. I am not sure whether it is possible for some schools...??

I have got a 4-year undergraduate architecture degree from UK, and have been working in architectural office for two years.

I am hoping to apply for the following schools: 

Harvard

MIT

Sci-Arc

UC Berkeley

Columbia

Yale 

Cornell

(they may not be my final list)

For some of them, like Harvard and Sci-Arc, there is an advanced standing option so that if granted I can start the course from 2nd year. However, for others there are not very clear instructions on website about advanced standing. 

- I am wondering anyone has such experience could tell me something about any of the schools please?? (eg. Is it possible / how hard is it to be placed in a 2-year M.Arch?)

Again, this is not an exclusive list, so all advice welcome!

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!!

Nov 11, 13 11:14 am
mhtdby

Anyone help please? :) 

Nov 13, 13 3:43 am  · 
 · 
natematt
I'm pretty sure most non-ivys have a shortened option... presuming your degree was thorough. In most cases I think they are separate degree titles hence the m.arch "1".

Which is one and which is two is a matter of school choice.

Of your list I am fairly sure sci-arc and Yale have a 2 year version. I think Harvard only has a three with advanced standing possibility. The others I am unsure. I know the University of Michigan's Is only 2 years.
Nov 13, 13 4:18 am  · 
 · 
natematt
I'm pretty sure most non-ivys have a shortened option... presuming your degree was thorough. In most cases I think they are separate degree titles hence the m.arch "1".

Which is one and which is two is a matter of school choice.

Of your list I am fairly sure sci-arc and Yale have a 2 year version. I think Harvard only has a three with advanced standing possibility. The others I am unsure. I know the University of Michigan's Is only 2 years.
Nov 13, 13 4:19 am  · 
 · 
24arches

You should consult the schools but a M.Arch II program would be what you're looking for. 

Looking at Berkeley Master of Arch site, "The opportunity to complete the Master of Architecture program in two years (Option 2) is granted to students with an exceptional undergraduate record in a focused pre-professional degree, including the B.A. or B.S. with a major in architecture." Dependent on whether the committee thinks you're capable but seeing your undergraduate was in architecture, it should be fine. 

GSD and Yale say the same general thing: "Applicants to the M.Arch. II program must hold a five-year bachelor of architecture (B.Arch.) degree, or an equivalent first professional degree." Now you should contact them directly to confirm whether your undergraduate degree qualifies since I don't know if the UK system is directly equivalent or on a different system. Places like Sci-Arc just need a four-year architectural degree domestic or abroad whereas UCLA's 2-year program has the same 5-year BArch rule. It seems to vary by school so I'll leave that deeper research up to you.

Hope this helps you clarify some things up. Good luck.

Nov 13, 13 4:20 am  · 
 · 
natematt

There has always been something off to me about programs that require those with arch backgrounds to take the same amount of credits as those without... by that standard an undergrad degree in architecture is pretty much worthless.

Nov 13, 13 11:57 am  · 
 · 
24arches

The B.Arch is fine but it renders the B.S. Arch essentially another generic undergraduate degree despite the focused coursework. If the latter requires graduate school to be worth anything, then I'd much refer it be a broader disciplined program than an unaccredited technical one that's half-baked.

Nov 13, 13 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I think you have a point, the key is it shouldn't be so worthless in the process of getting an accredited degree.

Nov 13, 13 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
observant

The B.Arch is fine but it renders the B.S. Arch essentially another generic undergraduate degree despite the focused coursework. If the latter requires graduate school to be worth anything, then I'd much refer it be a broader disciplined program than an unaccredited technical one that's half-baked.

The program you are looking for is a M.Arch. 2 though some call it the M.Arch. 1 with advanced standing.  Regardless, you should come in at two years, or about 60 semester credits wherever you go.  I think there are some 2.5 year programs, but after doing a 4 year in architecture, I don't think anyone should be forced to go that extra half a year.  It's probably the better schools with a captive audience who are seeking that calling card.  It will depend on how your degree aligns with the content they expect from an analogous 4 year degree granted in the U.S. or Canada.

While not on your list, there are other which follow a different pattern.  The UW-Seattle is 2 years, but pushes the thesis, by itself, into a third year.  The students can work at that point and many do. 

The University of Utah does something funky but convenient for those short on time.  They have a 4 semester M.Arch. program, which is the norm, except that they insert the 1st semester in the first summer and the 4th semester in the summer after that first summer session and full year, for a total of about 15 months.  The big question is whether one would want to study in Utah, even with it being in SLC.

If considering Berkeley and Sci-ARC, also consider UCLA, or at least, look at it.

Again, for you, 2 years should be the maximum, unless your degree is deficient in a topical area as perceived by a particular university.  Where have alums of your school had good luck at being admitted among these schools?

Nov 13, 13 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
mhtdby

Thank you all!

With a few days research now I came to some conclusion about those schools:

These 5 have either 2 or 2.5 year program (while some of them call it advanced standing, some call it M.Arch 2, or Option2)

Harvard

MIT
Sci-Arc
UC Berkeley
Columbia

I emailed Yale, and they only have 3-year, with no option of advanced standing. (But i like their student works a lot posted on their website.. so maybe i will still apply)

Cornell hasn't got such option on their website and I haven't got reply by email. 

For other school so far I think @natematt is correct - Michigan has a two-year program. 

@observant, Yes i am now looking at UCLA, and again, i haven't found information about 2-year on the web but sent an email to ask. 

Nov 14, 13 3:31 am  · 
 · 
mhtdby

I totally agree that 3 year is too much for students who already took architecture as their undergraduate. And the fact is that they are taking 1st year M.Arch together with student with no architecture degree. I haven't not experience that myself yet but intuitively this sounds weird. 

Having that said, my undergraduate course in Edinburgh is not a strictly speaking 4 year course. It's in 4 years but with 2.5year (school) + 1year(work placement, while doing school course work online) + 0.5year(school).  

I heard some that my alums who went to US to take course and they had to take the 3-year M.Arch. 

My situation is a little bit complicated, as I took 2 year course in civil engineering in the States before I went to the UK, so that I have taken those basic calculus and physics courses and some other. Though i withdrew after 2nd year, my GPA was high. I hope this could help me a little bit while applying for M.Arch, and hopefully be admitted into an advanced standing course. 

Have to apply and see i guess... @_@

Nov 14, 13 3:41 am  · 
 · 
Roshi

IIT in Chicago has a 2 year M.Arch for Advanced Standing, granted that you have a B.S.Arch (4 year) undergrad.

Georgia Tech has a 2 year degree for 4-year architect-undergrads as well.

Princeton also gives advanced standing for 2.5 years, however, since they only admit about 10-15 students a year regularly, getting in let alone into advanced standing is tough to say the least.

Nov 14, 13 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
observant

OP,

Here's the curriculum for UCLA's M.Arch., and this is done in 3 years, whether the previous degree is in philosophy or Portuguese.

http://www.aud.ucla.edu/programs/m_arch_i_degree_4.html

It's all there, and in 3 years flat.  However, looking under their FAQ, they are evasive about advanced standing.  Typically, one should just see the first year lopped off.  Instead, look at how they answer the 4th question under FAQ.  That means they are going to look at everyone individually and probably craft person-specific curricula from the 3 year program.  Who knows?

http://www.aud.ucla.edu/admissions/faq.html

Then, you have programs which are forthcoming about this.  The Univ. of Mich. will map it out for you.  It's 60 semester credits.  Period. Here you go:

http://taubmancollege.umich.edu/pdfs/sample_syllabus/master_architecture_2_year_sample_syllabus.pdf

It ain't the Bay Area or L.A., but I think Ann Arbor has a better program.  They've shot up in the rankings, too.

Nov 14, 13 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: