Archinect
anchor

The "high-end" of home architecture in Toronto

JackG

Hey, I don't have any education in architecture or design, although I like architecture as an art that I can observe every day.

I’m from Toronto and I recently stumbled upon series of articles about architects that are called as high end and as I understand, they should be top level.

I find their work absolutely tasteless and that’s why I’m writing this thread. Is there any artistic value in these houses that evades me, or are the most expensive houses that are built here just weak imitations of styles and their only purpose is to look ostentatiously?

Nov 11, 13 11:17 am
Fish
The article seems like an advertisement. I wouldn't put much stock in loaded superlatives like best in high end or whatever. That said, a lot of expensive homes look like this. You may think these homes appear tasteless - I feel much the same - but one can only assume that to the owners of the homes (likely their dream homes) this is what good taste looks like. Who knows what the architects think to themselves about these projects.

Think of it this way: Joan Rivers sells a lot of opulent looking jewelry on QVC. It's not for me or possibly you but it's the height of taste for many. At the same time, do you think Joan Rivers wears that stuff unless she's trying to sell it?
Nov 11, 13 11:56 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Most people have bad taste, thus most rich people also have bad taste. Money and taste have never correlated consistently during the entire history of humankind on earth. Get used to that.

Becoming wealthy does not magically impart good sense or taste on those so fortunate. Wealth is just a multiplier: it allows you more freedom to do what you want to do and less impact from the consequences of your decision-making. As a result, it magnifies the personality flaws and weaknesses of the wealthy as much as their strengths. Wealth doesn't corrupt. It amplifies. Make a kind man a billionaire, and he will often become a great benefactor to mankind. Do the same with a jerk, and he'll generally become King Asshole of the Universe.

Unfortunately, our modern society is set up in such a way that those who are able to reap the greatest rewards of wealth and power are disproportionately among the most sociopathic members of society. So that tends to unbalance the equation somewhat.

Nov 11, 13 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Someone should share that link with the woman that started the "why won't you design what we want" thread. She'd love Lorne Rose.
Nov 11, 13 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

Another first-time poster with a thread about the quality of architecture.

Hmmmmmm. Troll, anyone?

Nov 11, 13 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

JackG, most of the stuff in your link looks like buildings, not architecture. Who knows why 'Architects' bother getting all that education and a fancy exclusive title to make buildings that appear to flagrantly ignore all that expensive and tedious learning.

Nov 11, 13 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
0super2

www.hariripontarini.com

Nov 12, 13 12:07 am  · 
 · 
JackG

Thanks for your answers.

I never thought that money equals taste but I thought that when there are so many talented designers, taste could be “bought”. On the other hand, who can judge what looks good and what doesn't.

Nov 12, 13 4:00 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

jack, my experience has been that wealthy people often prefer to tell others what to do, rather than trust their judgement.  it's certainly possible that the people who paid for most of those houses are fully aware they have bad taste, no vision, and are incapable of designing a decent house.  however, it's their money and they like telling people what to do, so they aren't going to let some lowly architect dictate what the house they're paying for will look like.

Nov 12, 13 7:50 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Superkül seems to be doing alright

Nov 12, 13 7:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: