Archinect
anchor

San Fran Trip Advice?

Mystykaljello

I am starting to plan out my trip to San Fran for AIA convention and I was wondering how easy BART is to use, where the sketchy places are, and if anyone has good recommendations for cheap reasonably nice hotels.

Thanks!

Mar 1, 09 9:18 pm
wittyusername

The convention is probably gonna be at the Moscone center, which is within walking distance of Union square which has plenty of places to stay. The places get much cheaper and much grungier the closer you get to the tenderloin, which is in close proximity to both Moscone and Union square and is not a place you want to be wandering around late at night.

If you're staying in that area, then there's not much need to take BART. It runs along the east end of the city, so you'll only need to take it if you're going down to the Mission district (which is also sometimes dangerous but much more fun than the tenderloin). To get to anywhere else in the city, just take the Muni bus.

Mar 1, 09 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

witty...
what?... no 20 minutes worth of restaurant suggestions?????

Mar 2, 09 3:19 am  · 
 · 
Mystykaljello

Hey I'll take restaurant suggestions too :-)

Mar 2, 09 8:57 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

frjtz in Hayes Valley

http://www.frjtzfries.com/

Mar 2, 09 10:12 am  · 
 · 
wittyusername

Hey FF, I was hesitant of even touching this posting for fear of you making fun of me!

But since you mentioned it, House of Nanking on Kearny & Columbus is a good tourist standard. Expect long lines though.

Mar 2, 09 10:33 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

yeah,your right..House of Nanking is a crucial. (Maybe I just have way too many friends from the Bay Area, so I guess I always get the long version of where to eat form all of them.)

Mar 2, 09 11:37 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Here are some recommendations from a friend of Mine!

Mar 2, 09 11:59 am  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Sketchy places - Tendorloin after dark - other than that, it is a lot like New York here . Restaraunts? : Caffe Trieste, 601 Vallejo St, and on Market + Gough - also New Montgomery+Howard - close to Mascone - Their espresso will get you through the day. There are also a lot of cool places on Valencia, you can take Bart from any Market Street station to either 16th, or 24th street stations in the Mission.

Mar 2, 09 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: