Archinect
anchor

Going to Rome (Italy) suggestions for recent projects to see?

estyle

I am off to Rome for a week (a well earned vacation). I have done a little research on line and in books but would love some suggestions from Architects (and designers) for recent projects in the city that are worth checking out.

thanks

Feb 25, 09 10:45 am
randomized
heavymetalarchitecture

I think the Maxxi (Zaha) might be done.
Its about a 45 minute train/bus ride but you could go see the Jubilee Church (Meier)
Also maybe the auditorium della musica? by renzo

I saw these projects and honestly they don't hold much weight against the baroque pieces by Borromini Sangallo Michelangelo Bernini. Also just the normal tourist stuff Colosseum St Peters Pantheon Forum Spanish Steps Campidoglio. If you haven't already done this I would, I had more fun seeing them.

Have Fun

Feb 25, 09 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
estyle

I have done the typical tourist stuff--but per-being an architect so I definitely plan to enjoy them anew. I also will be seeking out WWII era stuff. But, as someone who practices in a conservative, history oriented city, I am also interested in seeing how a real historic city absorbs new stuff.

Thanks for the tips (have the wallpaper book to take with).

Feb 25, 09 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

E.U.R. (Esposizione Universale Roma) is a good to check out if you haven't been down there. lots of Modernism to be had. it's sort of its own district, so there isn't much absorption of the new by the old, (which you are correct to look for in Rome!) but it's an interesting, if not a little strange, place nonetheless. it's a few miles south of the ancient city center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esposizione_Universale_Roma

http://www.flickr.com/groups/romaeur/

Feb 25, 09 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

i just saw the title of your thread and realized you're looking for *recent* projects...oops.

well, if you run out of new stuff to see, check out E.U.R.!

Feb 25, 09 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

I wouldn't just try to focus on "recent" works, instead I would ask about good work. I would suggest seeing San Carlos Alle Quattro Fontane, and Basilica di San Clemente. Those two are very good buildings for very different reasons.

Renzo Piano's concert hall is pretty nice as well.

I would focus more on food, and just wandering around. That's by far one of the best ways to see it, instead of rushing from place to place. Just mark one or two destinations and everything else is extra. Good luck and have fun.

Feb 25, 09 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

right on, Huanmic. it's a great place to wander...and eat. san clemente is amazing. and overall, there is so much to see from each age...i never had an appreciation for Baroque architecture and planning until i came to Rome.

Feb 25, 09 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
abc91686

Definitely go to the Maxxi. I was there this time last year with my college and we got a tour of the construction site and it was absolutely phenomenal.

The other "modern" piece that we saw was Richard Meier's Ara Pacis museum along the river.

Have a great time!!! I miss it so much

Feb 26, 09 5:45 am  · 
 · 
contemax

Huanmic - you are right: just focus on food - the italian (contemporary) architecture scene is actually not existing - at least there are no mentionable buildings out there (hope I'm provoking some italians with this imputation... let me know if I'm wrong ;-) please dont mention Ian+ and so on - have they build something? in italy?)
the good italian architects are building in the rest of the world or work as interior designers... or furniture designers or tableware designers...
or they are theorists and professors (teaching aldo rossi and palladio)
there is zaha in rome - meier's church - and hmmm ...what about rem's mercati - are there some news about it?
dont get me wrong, its not the fault of the architects.. the italian architecture faculties are focusing on classic proportions and color schemes that match ancient buildings - and so on. ...carlo scarpa is the master... aldo rossi is god...
now that I'M talking about I remember some conversations with a "casabella" arch. critic 2 weeks ago. I was working with the juri for an ital.arch-price and couldt beleave my ears while listening to his conservativ statements... however - rome is so amazing - all the ancient architecture.. buildings build 2000(!) years ago or even older - its just mind blowing. don't search for new stuff - enjoy history.
maybe you will find some nice "contemporary" implementations of (interior) architecture in the high end stores.. armani valentino dolce ferragamo gucci and watch out for stylish bars and night clubs. rome is dolce vita - art - the "smart" car metropolis - and outdoor drinking > campo dei fiori.

Feb 26, 09 8:09 am  · 
 · 
abc91686

speaking of cool high end stores check out the Louis Vuitton staircase by the Spanish Steps it is unreal!!! And the Ferrari store farther down the same road

Feb 26, 09 9:00 am  · 
 · 
contemax

abc91686 ... cool - make me dizzy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f91Z-5iUw0

Feb 26, 09 11:18 am  · 
 · 
contemax

even better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXHJPeqXu9Y&feature=related

Feb 26, 09 11:19 am  · 
 · 

check this out. http://www.mimoa.eu/browse/projects/Italy/Rome

Feb 26, 09 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Akin

Hi, well contemax your provocation did arrive here...hehehe

Well,I think that what you write about the way architecture is taught regards more Milan where Aldo Rossi is a God (that's what I've heard).
I studied architecture here and I don't remember my professors being conservative with the surroundings (of course not all of them).They were rather more attracted by fancy architecture...
Until not long ago there was a so called Scuola Romana with architectects such as Carlo Aymonino, Franco Purini,Sacripanti etc which had a big influence on students and the architecture research.
You also mention Carlo Scarpa, but he is more a god (borrowing your expression) in the north, especially in the Veneto area where you can visit amazing pieces of work.
Now lets get back to business:

EUR was mentioned, and yes I would suggest it too. Great works by Marcello Piacentini and Adalberto Libera, Ernesto Nathan Rogers (I believe uncle of Richard) Pier Luigi Nervi. It is now a hotspot with the new (year 2000) project for a congress hall by Massimiliano Fuksas. You can't still see anything as they are building the car parks.

If you do have time, Ostia is a nice trip to make and look for works such as the Post Office by Mazzoni in Ostia's town center and the buildings by Libera.

In Rome you can find very interesting architecture from the 60's if you are interested I can search that for you and write it down.

If you are only looking for contemporary architecture:

Chiesa Santa Maria della Presentazione by Nemesi Studio
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=nemesi+studio

There is also the Macro building site by Odile Deqc

There is the hotel buidling next to Termini by King & Roselli and a library built by them in the Vatican state (you need to check this because I am writing of by heart and can't check this information now)

You also mentioned the Mercati Generali project by Oma. Well,I is very disappointing as the client changed the project so the competition proposal won't actually be built like that.
Nevertheless that's a very interesting area to visit for an architect as you can find a lot of old industrial areas along the Tiber river.There is also the Garbatella area from the 1930's which is very interesting.

I am very critical about some contemporary projects I have mentioned. Some of them just go for the wow effect.

My favorite buidlings are

The post office by Libera, but there are also very intereting post office buildings there.I need to check the names as can't remember them now.It would be a great subject to write about.

Casa del Girasole by Luigi Moretti

You can also visit the Foro Italico where the olimpic stadium is. You can then compare it to EUR. Next to it is the Olimpic village, where Le Corbusier visiting it stated: "Ah my Ville Radiuse realized" (I don't know if the words were actually those, but that was the message)

Ok, well I don't know if I managed to give you a walking tour but hope it can help.
I do agree with someone who wrote above that Rome is interesting because of what has already being built and the way all the past archictecture co-exists altogether. There are very interesting architecture lessons which are valid for us architects of today.
What I try to say is look further and now at each architecture time separately but the way all the layers interact and the skill with which the later city phases were added.

Have a great time!

Regards,

Akin

Feb 27, 09 11:28 am  · 
 · 
contemax

akin you mentioned nemesi studio... they are doing a great job. Michele Molè was teching somewhere in germany as I remember - In 2005 I came to his studio for an interview and half of the crew there was from germany.. you definitely can see that in their approache - anyway... I really like the walkway they did at the fori.. estyle, don't miss that:
http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/italy/5883-rome-walkway-trajans-markets-nemesi-studio.html

Feb 27, 09 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Akin

Yes Contemax, I agree with you. Their appoach is very interesting. They are very influenced by the way Morphosis work but also very attracted by Eric Miralles and a touch of Jean Nouvel. The project you mentioned is very interesting. I always try to go back and visit it.

If you read italian: http://architettura.supereva.com/coffeebreak/20030622/index.htm

Mar 2, 09 4:48 am  · 
 · 

There is a famous gelato place kiddie corner from the pantheon. i think its the only one in that area. Huge chucks of fruits in it. Good stuff. There is also a pizza by the pound place next to where a ruin of an old theatre down by the river on the east side. Only place where I've eaten pizza by the weight, very good!

Mar 8, 09 4:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: