Archinect
anchor

Any Architecture Critics Out There? Get Your Name Out There!!

Parcbench A+A

This is not a job offer, rather the opportunity for you to get your name out there by submitting articles on art+architecture that will be seen on up and coming website!

General Information:

Like it or not, there in another side of the political aisle that comes in contact with art+architecture everyday, and is sick of the liberal media bias. No matter who you think is right, or what side of the aisle you sit on, architecture exists on both.

Have you ever:

Ever read an article in Architectural Record and wonder why they cannot just give an honest and open critique of the building that the masses could understand?

Are you frustrated with what the "architectural critic" seems to say?

This is a great opportunity to put a new twist on architecture+art reviews.

Be honest. Tear apart a design everyone loves. Argue for the side of the common client. Critic a building without the words "flow" or "procession" appearing in the article.

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL SITE, It is a site that covers everything from style to entertainment to art to technology.

This is an underserved audience who needs information; especially in the art and architecture department.

Please email me with a writing sample. (Please not more than one page.) and I will get back to you ASAP with writing requirements and general audience information.

[email protected]

Feb 23, 09 3:23 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

"liberal media bias... THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL SITE"

oh, yes it is.

Feb 23, 09 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Parcbench A+A

Both sides, liberals and conservatives, believe there is bias.

This site is serving a portion of the market.

My main point was: We will not be talking PRIMARILY politics.

This is the ART+ARCHITECTURE section.

Feb 23, 09 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

my first reaction to the intro is:

chip, meet shoulder. shoulder, chip.

architectural writing is as often done by professional writers as it is by architects and the words you excoriate are perfectly descriptive words readily available to all users of the english language - not just architects. they even mean the same thing!

i know that i (and i suspect many other architects) spend a lot of time talking to regular folks about the work we do. they may be facilities managers, high school students (career day today), newspaper reporters, or school board members. but what we talk about with them wouldn't sustain their attention through a magazine article, i'm afraid. there has to be some artfulness in the language of critical writing to grab and keep a reader's interest.

sounds like maybe you would like some plain-speak disparaging of projects you don't like. i'm sure you'll find plenty of people with opinions but i wouldn't expect it to be a very compelling read. you could just as easily check out the trolls who leave comments about any new project development in the online local paper. they're merciless! and unaccountable!

good luck.

Feb 23, 09 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Parcbench A+A

I completely agree actually. It's true that we need writing with eloquence, and the fact that it may not sound like Architectural Record is just a possibility. For some articles, it may sound like just that!

Your comments about the people who you observe posting at the end of the newspaper articles are a funny example. The fit the idea of what I DON'T want it to be.

But I believe there is balance in the middle somewhere. Just as there is media to consume out there already, there is something like this site where it can be a back and forth. There are other ways of presenting the information in these articles that looks from another point of view.

Feb 23, 09 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

i'm sorry, what 'other' point of view are you trying to get at here? if you actually look at architectural criticism and journalism, you'll find that there are an enormous number of viewpoint available. The examples you've given suggest you want some nice juicy hatchet-jobs written in basic english. Is that more-or-less right? Why are you stereotyping 'the masses' like that?

Feb 23, 09 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

My first reaction is why would I submit my writing to a website that offers such a poorly written thread announcing its creation. Please realize that writing goes beyond your "textlish" and step your game up.

Feb 23, 09 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

Sounds like a great business plan. "Lifestyle and pop culture for a new generation." I wish I'd thought of it. There is such a huge market that is so uneducated that it can't understand all of editorial content already available. I'm glued to my computer just thinking of reading Joe the Plumber's critique of David Adjaye's MCA Denver. I bet the pipes are installed all wrong.

Feb 23, 09 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

We need more positive outreach in our profession - not more vitriol.

Feb 24, 09 9:51 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds
Ever read an article in Architectural Record and wonder why they cannot just give an honest and open critique of the building that the masses could understand?

the teaming reeking 'masses' not understanding Architectural Record? If you consider AR to be very high brow, then i wonder where you position brows anatomically.

Feb 24, 09 10:19 am  · 
 · 

What is a Republican doing using the word "masses" anyway, is that some kind of joke?

Is this whole project some kind of intellectual penis envy translated into web-form?

Feb 24, 09 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Why don't you build a beaux-art monument to your worthless bourgeois project so the "masses" can tear it down.

Feb 24, 09 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Is this a joke? I mean seriously?

'politicizing' criticism?

Is the hope that nothing ever gets built? That we all go buy Albert Speer monographs and pray to them every morning?

Feb 24, 09 11:00 am  · 
 · 

"It is the opinion of the editors of this website that this is the finest conceptual drawing ever placed on our desks, three cheers to Speer, Hats off gentlemen, hats off!"

Feb 24, 09 11:03 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

ok, we're just being nasty now....

Feb 24, 09 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

I agree with toasteroven. Has any of you read the article in the Wall Street Journal that came out September of last year about the difference between conservatives and liberals, and the cultural war between the two? For liberals, the article states, culture is going to the Guggenheim, for example. For conservatives, culture is following the discipline of faith to raise a family. Hmm. Poignant.

Now, if this article is correct, viewing architecture from a conservative point of view would just be a snark-fest, no? And, I can see liberal comments posted here being used to fuel their arguments of today's system overrun by angry left-wing professors leading us to Armageddon.

If, on the other hand, this new website reaches across the aisle, more power to you. We could probably start right now, here on archinect. Maybe starting from a point of common ground would help. Let's say, that point would be: making a happy future for the children of this world, and how design is helping move that forward.

Making a happy future for the children of this world.

Hey, it's worked between warring countries.

Feb 24, 09 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Feb 24, 09 11:35 am  · 
 · 

the pathos is overwhelming.

Feb 24, 09 11:38 am  · 
 · 

Zaha, will you please stop living?
-the editors

Feb 24, 09 11:47 am  · 
 · 

ooh, took that one too far. sorry folks.

Feb 24, 09 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: