Archinect
anchor

Vue 7 Xstream plants?

laistm

I'm using Vue 7 Xstream with max 2009. when i try to create a plant it doesn't show up in the viewport. It shows up in the render but i cannot see the object in the viewport cannot seem to figure out why. using opengl. Any solutions?

Feb 21, 09 12:47 pm
rehiggins

sounds like you may not have a beefy enough video card and/or system memory. Is it really an issue though, or are you running into placement issues?

plant models that are actual geometry (instead of clipmapped billboards) are computationally intense so some programs have created a work-around that uses low poly objects for placement that get swapped out at render time. Is there a "proxy object" setting? Is there a "bake geometry" setting (be careful with this if it exists--file size will probably sky rocket)?

Sorry--I don't use Vue so can't help much more beyond this.

Feb 21, 09 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
laistm

i'm using a quadro fx1600M Card 256 dedicated memory, 1GB extended, 64 bit OS, 2GB ram. i dont think there's an issue with memory. I'm talking about using VUE 7 in Max. Rocks and procedural terrains show up wheni create em in max but plants dont show up. they only render.

Feb 21, 09 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

2GB RAM is barely enough for the OS (depending on which one you're using and what eye candy you have on).

Are the plants supposed to be showing?? What does the manual say?

Feb 22, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

and 256MB VRAM is actually not that beefy to be pushing high numbers of polys in real time (especially if it's pulling extra RAM from the system)

Feb 22, 09 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
laistm

it shows up on my desktop which has an even lower config. its a Pentium D with 2Gb and 256 ATI radeon X800GT. The Laptop is a Dell Pecision M6300. I've rendered extremely heavy files with over a 10 million polys on it so i dont understand y this should be a problem when vue doesn't even use polys.

Feb 23, 09 8:07 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

well, I suggest checking out one of the forums listed here then:

E-On Software

Feb 23, 09 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

"Enhanced EcoSystem Display

EcoSystems can be displayed in seven different modes (none, billboard, wireframe box, filled box, wireframe, flat shaded and full, smooth shaded display), plus a camera controlled dynamic level of detail option. This gives you the flexibility to optimize your workflow, whatever your hardware resources and project requirements are.
Click to follow link

Wireframe boxes

Click to follow link

Billboards

Click to follow link

Wireframe

Click to follow link

Smooth shaded

Display quality can be linked to the camera. Instances in a user-defined radius around the camera will be displayed at full quality, while the rest will fall back to the specified display mode. The camera-controlled LOD automatically updates as the camera is moved around, making camera placement inside EcoSystems much easier."

maybe this is what's causing you to not see the plants in the viewport?

Feb 23, 09 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
laistm

the plantings are all set to show as geometry. still not showing up. all settings are identical on desktop and laptop but ti shows up on the desktop pc with the gaming graphics card and doesn't show up on the laptop with quadro fx card......

Feb 24, 09 12:05 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

it definitely seems like your video card (video cards typically only handle real-time display, not rendering)

--are you using the Autodesk "certified" driver (not necessarily the most up-to-date version of the card's driver)
is it an Autodesk "certified" card?
-do they show up with Direct3D enabled?

Check with E-On and Autodesk to see if there are any known issues with your card.

If it's rendering fine, don't fret too much unless you're having issues with placement--though you have the option to switch to "standalone" mode with Vue (assuming the plants show up of course when working in the standalone)

Feb 24, 09 11:14 am  · 
 · 
laistm

thats wat i'm doing right now but if i have to integrate it into my Architectural model for final renderingi have a problem corelating. Anyhow i think for now i'll just render environment maps and use other software for foliage. dont have a another work around as yet.

Feb 24, 09 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

well there's photoshop…and if you break the render up into passes (diffuse, AO, GI, reflection, refraction, etc) then you can composite the separate renders fairly effectively

Also, I was reading that there are ways to export the camera info from Max to the standalone…

Feb 24, 09 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

laistm,

i just wanted to know what you thought about Vue 7 aside from the viewport issues. Does it produce good results? Is it easy to use? Does it come with an extensive plants/environment library? does it work well in animations?

i've been working on some renders in our downtime, and just haven't been happy with the trees in photoshop experience. it also doesn't work to well for animations.

let me know what you think.

thanks,

Feb 24, 09 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins
Personal Learning Edition

from the little bit of browsing I've done on their site, it looks impressive, and I know that people have gotten it to work with Maxwell (and other renderers) with varying results. The ability to create your own skydomes from "scratch" that contain HDR lighting information is enticing…

Feb 24, 09 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
laistm

It renders fairly well with Max. Only drawback i see is it uses only mental ray engine and the plants only work with procedural terrain or the ground plane or else you'll have to manually place all the plants yourself. its a headache as far as i see it. I liked the potential but its a not so well worked out software as far as the plugin aspect is concerned. The stand alone isn't that great either.

Feb 25, 09 12:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: