Archinect
anchor

Custom Concrete Masonry?

farwest1

Does anyone know of a place that allows you to customize concrete masonry units in terms of color, aggregates, etc?

The standard samples that most companies have can be pretty ugly.

Feb 20, 09 2:35 pm
toasteroven

shoot - I have a brochure someplace... I think it's buried in my basement and it's from 10 years ago... I know it's easier to do this outside of the US - I know there's a company in Central America that does this...

you can get patterns stamped on them too... Now it's going to bug me...

have you tried asking your structural engineer?

Feb 21, 09 11:13 am  · 
 · 
blah

I have always thought this was the most innovative thing that Wright ever did...

Feb 22, 09 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
blah
Feb 22, 09 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Wright made an ugly thing beautiful. He made the concrete block ornament and allowed light to travel through it. Structure/texture/ornament/color/light. I think Wright used colored sand in one of them. They didn't wear too well but I am sure there wasn't any flashing and the steel was unprotected.

Feb 22, 09 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

loom (from mpls) was on the cover of one of the mags last year for developing their own custom block designs. think it was 'architect'.

Feb 22, 09 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
cowerd
www.loomstudio.com/12blocks/foldblock.html
Feb 22, 09 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you may want to contact Marmol Radzinger and see who they used to do the block on the renovation of the Wright House

Feb 22, 09 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: