Archinect
anchor

Temp To Hire ?

Anyone have experiences with temp to hire, good bad? seems like a growing trend in our field as well as others

Nov 5, 13 5:31 pm
LITS4FormZ
More bad(6 months and laid off) than good (6 months with an offer and pay bump) but it's certainly a way to get your foot in the door.
Nov 6, 13 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Nothing like having a middleman taking a piece of your salary. Sort of reminds me of On the Waterfront.

Nov 7, 13 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

if they are going to 1099 you (hire as independent contractor), make sure you send in 50% of your pay to the feds quarterly, otherwise you are going to get screwed at tax time.

Nov 8, 13 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I was a 1099 for 3 years at one office - if it wasn't for all the deductions(real-estate) and business, I would have had to pay 50% "if 50% seems too small, be thankful we don't take it all") I am a direct now - it's worth putting forth the extra effort it takes to impress the managers enough that they will convert you to direct -

Nov 10, 13 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

it's how i got my current job. different position, now same dept/institution over five years. mostly on the job training. but had basic reqs/qualifications.

Nov 12, 13 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: