Archinect
anchor

Bay Area salon/meet up?

catinthebag

Hi all,

I just moved back to the San Francisco Bay Area after a few years out on the East Coast doing grad school, and looking to grow my circle of creative friends. While I enjoy my work at the office, and am also looking into joining AIA and BAYA events, I'm also looking for a less officious environment to meet and hang out with people in the related disciplines.

It'd be nice to kick back on some weekday/Friday evening, swig a beer, and just talk about exciting stuff happening in the field, and throw ideas around. I notice that conversations in professional settings in the Bay Area tend to focus on execution and production rather than critical concepts and groundbreaking ideas, and I really miss that kind of intellectual stimulation. (Not to knock the latter! I'm learning a huge amount.)

Let me know if there's any interest in starting a circle like this. Or you can point me to one that already exists!

Nov 5, 13 4:36 pm
zonker

I am all for it - AIA-SF - also check AIA-SF calender for events - but  I get what you are after - some nice place to kick back with a "lil Sumpin" - there is a lot going on here and we can make a difference now, or end up on the outside looking in later.

Nov 5, 13 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
catinthebag

Capital! 

The idea is to keep our critical design gears and thinking hats in working order, so it'll be kinda like an alcoholic/social mixer featuring the kind of conversation that would happen around the academic studio water cooler: what professional and personal projects are you working on right now? Did you read something or come across a project recently that really excited you? Hey everyone, so I have this crazy cross-disciplinary pop-up start-up idea - do y'all think it's got legs?

So you're totally right, Xenakis - it's part keeping accountability in our path towards making a difference, and part critical support group. The quality will entirely depend on the people who make it there, so invite anybody you think might enjoy it.

How's your Friday looking? If that's too soon for everyone (including the sneaky people emailing me!), then maybe next week will have to do.

Nov 5, 13 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Reuben Alt

http://makersclubsf.com/

Nov 5, 13 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

this Friday 11/08 is doable, I work in Santa Clara and can Caltrain it up to the city by 7. need to determine a place.

Nov 6, 13 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
catinthebag

So I PM-ed you, but just in case: if you're Caltraining it, Garaje on 3rd and Bryant is a great option!

Nov 7, 13 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Hmmm...I work in San Jose, might be able to participate.

Nov 7, 13 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

catinthebag - still want to meet up at Garaj at 7pm

suverk aka xenakis

Nov 8, 13 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: