Archinect
anchor

The complex history of sustainability

cowgill
Antisthenes

neat. any more info on how it was made and more descriptions about different movements and meanings of some of the graphics?

Feb 18, 09 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I disagree with a few of the -isms on the chart, they left off a few key players (where is malcolm wells, charles moore, or ed mazria???) and why oh why is glenn murcutt and james cutler grouped with Prince Charles?!?!?!? charles jenks and leon kreir yes, but cutler or murcutt?

Feb 18, 09 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

very neat^^ i have ordered volume18 already, look forward reading it.

Feb 18, 09 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

Antisthenes> i think u can click at the icon and get some brief description or u order the volume 18.

Feb 18, 09 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
age of the small

Thanks for the link, I'd like to show this to my Global Warming Conspiracy Theorist friend. He still won't believe in global warming though, even though there is a clear link b/w climate temperature and oil prices. What do you think of the engineered Nike butterfly on the next page?

Feb 18, 09 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
aspect
http://www.archis.org/volume/2009/02/18/online-special-the-complex-history-of-sustainability/

Did you know that the term Sustainability first appeared in a German forestry manual in the 1700s? Did you know that someone feels paranoid about an alleged conspiracy plan of global domination behind global warming? What did French philosophers in the Seventies think about ecology?

Discover all the different attitudes of humans towards Nature throughout history. Learn more on the architect’s approach to environmental design and get inspiration from a wide utopian fiction bibliography! Impress your friends with a full set of fresh notions!

The Complex History of Sustainability is a timeline of trends, authors, projects and fiction made by Amir Djalali, with Piet Vollaard. originally published in Volume #18 - After Zero, the timeline has been converted to an interactive website using mashing-up Google maps, using it as a way to navigate this extensive timeline. The technology to do this, Google Maps Image Cutter, has been developed by CASA

Feb 19, 09 12:47 am  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

Propoganda? Alright. On that chart, my inner Edward Bernays would like to see:

Masanobu Fukuoka: proto-hippie farmer. His book, The One-Straw Revolution, spelled out working with the land, instead of working the land.

Janine Benyus: biomimicry exponent. website:
www.biomimicryinstitute.org

Many of the movies by Hayao Miyazaki.

Seriously. [insert smiley emoticon here]

Feb 23, 09 11:03 am  · 
 · 
tokyorama

Please, go on with your critiques to improve the timeline, they're really useful.
Perhaps we can think to release a new version of the timeline including your suggestions.

Thanks a lot!
amir

Feb 25, 09 6:12 am  · 
 · 
aspect

should also add bruce lee, ppl learn kung fu, no need to waste money on slim product and going to the air-con gym.

Feb 25, 09 8:45 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Amir-

Welcome to archinect!!!!

Feb 25, 09 10:24 am  · 
 · 
tokyorama

Thanks treekiller!

About what -isms are you disagreeing?

Consider that some things are there just for fun, not to be taken so seriously,,,

Feb 27, 09 10:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: