Archinect
anchor

Sculptures

camhard

Sorry if this is a stupid question, or the answer is readily available (I have searched around a little). I'm preparing to apply for an undergrad environmental design program and am just looking for some information on architectural sculptures. Not sure what else to call it. I often see pictures of rooms filled with random looking wire installations, or what appear to me to be abstract solid forms. Are these simply studies of space, etc.? What is the purpose? How does one come up with these ideas (I once saw something that was supposed to be a physical representation of light)? Just curious if someone could illuminate me. thanks.

Feb 17, 09 1:35 am
kungapa

If you are illuminated, are you then a physical representation of light?

Feb 17, 09 4:03 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I don't think the answer is readily available, as each artist is going to have their own intent for what they are doing with their piece. You will probably have to research each artist/project individually, to get find out what their goals were. Or look for books on "Installation art" which is a catch-all generic term for it.

Tons has been written on Anne Hamilton, who fills rooms and uses people as part of her work, so she might be an easy place to start. Not abstract, though.

Remember too that many/most sculptors approach their work not only as a discreet static object that ones looks "at" but as an object that affects space, so using the room is really a natural progression from that attitude.

Feb 17, 09 7:20 am  · 
 · 
Lisa11

The information you have given is really useful.
Lisa11
Finance Loans

Feb 17, 09 8:30 am  · 
 · 

hi, lisa!

Feb 17, 09 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: