Archinect
anchor

Fluid Dynamics in Rhino

Apurimac

To you rhino heads and scripters, and specifically Antithesis

Is there any way to create with Rhino an environment that models wind flow through a Rhino model? Perhaps a script or plug-in? I think I remember seeing something posted a while ago about CFD and its uses for modeling wind flow, but it may have been for Maya or something. Any help would be appreciated.

Feb 12, 09 10:03 pm
MArch n' unemployed

try real flow or x-flow - that's what i use anyway. both next limit, great company, great product. i got the student version for $99

Feb 12, 09 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i downloaded a crack version of ANSYS and tried to figure it out, but in the end i didn't have the time or patience, but it is bar none the most powerful piece of CFD software.

http://www.ansys.com/products/multiphysics.asp

Feb 12, 09 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

any particle system in 3dmax, maya can do it... never try rhino for rendering, so can't help.

Feb 13, 09 12:48 am  · 
 · 
eCoDe

Grasshopper.

A plugin developed recently for Rhino. You can download it from

here

Feb 13, 09 1:01 am  · 
 · 
eCoDe

I am sorry Wait a second....

Are you going to do a serious, scientific wind-tunnel simulation? That's another story than dynamic systems for design orientations. Probably CFD Flovent is the right one. And probably you need a professional analyst to do that.

Feb 13, 09 1:38 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

there is a realflow plugin

Feb 13, 09 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

eCoDe,

I'm not doing hard-core analysis, I'm just interested to model the flow for ventilation purposes and if possible to monitor potential trouble spots on the underside of my roof as far as loads are concerned

Feb 13, 09 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
difficultfix

Apurimac

"I'm just interested to model the flow for ventilation purposes and if possible to monitor potential trouble spots on the underside of my roof as far as loads are concerned"

That does sound like your are interested in a CFD analysis

I have never tried the real flow plugin, but I
do spend a lot of time working on CFD models. I would suggest looking into Ecotect w/ winair, or Nist CFD.

if do use these software - you would have to rebuild your model - which you might not be interested in doing.

But they do a good job.

http://squ1.org/wiki/Display_Air_Flow

Feb 14, 09 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
TomHorse

My company has a Rhino CFD plugin that is now at the testing stage. Out of interest what kinds of features would you expect to see from a CFD plugin?

Thanks

Feb 24, 16 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: