Archinect
anchor

Outsourcing Architecture

DJ7910

What is the potential, after this economic contraction, that more of the drafting & grunt work will be outsourced to foreign countries as a cost cutting efficiency metric?

I've been noticing more firms have outsourced the Architectural renderings to companies in Asia and Eastern Europe. I've also notice more postings from foreign countries on CL stating they can do all the architectural work to US standards, more freelance job sourcing web sites are popping up and more firms setting up offices in foreign countries.

New Paradigm- RE Dev hires Designer, and PM, outsource construction docs to Tech Arch, spec writer and drafting to foreign firm, to reduce time and cost by 40%.

As a designer & freelance contractor, I'm concerned about the loss of business and statements from firms that they outsource to Asia for their renderings.

Any thoughts?

Feb 12, 09 2:55 pm
randomized

welcome to the global economy where you are being forwarded to Indian helpdesks by your insurance company, where you walk on Chinese sneakers, where you put Brazilian biofuel in your car (that they chop down the Amazone rainforest for) or Middle Eastern fuel (that supports dictators and fundamentalists) your car that by the way was made in Japan or if you want quality, in Germany, where you enjoy your chocolate sweets from cacao that was harvested by child slaves in Africa (think about that on valentines day) and when you go out or want to enhance your concentration in this competitive times you put Colombian cocaine up your nose and where your children are being brought up by Mexican nannies.
and now your renderings will be made in Poland and the specs are made in Hong Kong.

Feb 12, 09 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

i heard of a major firm with offices in china and the us recently. the busy chinese office was outsourcing work to the stagnant us office.

Feb 12, 09 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
eCoDe

If you have heard anything about "Cloud Computation", you know that businesses are more about Flow. It could be flowing out-bound or in-bound. It's the way the global economy works.

In the beginning of 1930s there were more people shared the same view as you - they are worrying about the economy in their country, their region, and their town. And they did make actions to protect their localized business and jobs. And, the outcome is, the Great Depression.

Obama said we are not going to a great depression again. One thing I am very sure is, No Protectionism, at all, globally.

Feb 12, 09 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: