Archinect
anchor

Deployable structures

by the power of zumthor's chin

Hi,

Just wondering...does anyone have some interesting precedents of deployable structures? I've done research (internet, library and journals) but I've come up against a wall of run-of-the-mill triangulated pin joins and folding fabric. Surely there has to be a more aesthetic structural approach? Inflation is not really of interest to me, though so that's kind of off the table.

Other than these, I've not really seen anything of interest. I realise that these systems are commonly used for reasons of economy and simplicity, but as there no radical approaches out there?

Many thanks if you can think of anything.

Feb 10, 09 3:37 pm
MArch n' unemployed

quonset huts (but really inflatables are where its at, lots of interesting examples there)

Feb 10, 09 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
32Q2

We've just been discussing some of this over in this thread:

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=85204_0_42_0_C158

Feb 10, 09 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
by the power of zumthor's chin

hmmm...well as long as they're interesting I can't really refuse. :)
they might spark some inspiration, so care to suggest a couple?

Feb 10, 09 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

well i don't want to do all of your research for you, but Kas Oosterhuis is one of my favorites. check out some of his work with inflatables.

http://www.oosterhuis.nl/quickstart/index.php

Feb 10, 09 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

kuma's had some inflatable projects recently.

and then there are the (germans?) that are published in design like you give a damn w/ inflatable refugee hut.

Feb 10, 09 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
tc wanatabe

There are some good examples in the current issue of Harvard Design Magazine

Feb 10, 09 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
eCoDe

For me, every structure is deployable, with a crane...

Feb 10, 09 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: