Archinect
anchor

Lo-fi architecture?

Jimmy Stamp

Hi all. I'm trying to get a discussion going over on Life Without Buildings and I'd love some input from Archinecters. The topic: How would you define LO-FI ARCHITECTURE? There were some great answers on Twitter, which have been copied into the post, but I was hoping to get some longer-form ideas on the blog:

http://lifewithoutbuildings.net/2009/02/searching-for-a-definition-of-lo-fi-architecture.html

Thanks!

Feb 10, 09 2:53 pm
holz.box

i would say rural studio is "lo-fi"

Feb 10, 09 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I would say a great deal of suburban architecture would be lo-fi. If you compare it to hi-fi vs. lo-fi audio. A lot of repetition, half assed details, kind of a "git 'er done" style. It houses people comfortably, but it's nothing special. While hi-end design is more like hi-fi audio. The details are worked out, the design is "mastered." Like a cheap stereo that plays the music, and a great stereo that is an instrument itself.

Feb 10, 09 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, I just clicked here to say exactly what Hasselhoff said. There's a kind of lo-fi (different from the romanticized and naive and gritty) that's just lo-res. It's architecture meant to be seen through squinted eyes and at high speed and with little attention.

Feb 10, 09 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

perhaps atelier bow-wow's 'pet-architecture' influenced work could be described as lo-fi?

Feb 11, 09 12:01 am  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

go with hi lo fi.

hi lo fi is this. go figure!

Feb 11, 09 12:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: