Archinect
anchor

Collaborative Community Design Methods

bigblobs

Hey,

Does anyone know of interesting architects that practice radical approaches to community involvement in their designs. I'm thinking there must be some good stuff from the 1960s & 1970s.

Thoughts????

-BB

PS. RIP TVCC

Feb 10, 09 12:46 am

Current practiocioners include Teddy Cruz, Rural Studio, Bryan Bell and many other practicioners profiled in
[url=http://www.metropolismag.com/story/20081015/public-interest-architecture]this issue of Metropolis Magazine
[/url]

Feb 10, 09 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Ughhh...
this issue of Metropolis Magazine

Feb 10, 09 9:27 am  · 
 · 
bigblobs

Great thanx

BB

Feb 10, 09 10:46 am  · 
 · 
cowerd

ken riordan's work at cornell
ann spirn's wet philly project

i would be careful to note the difference between alternate models of practice and community involvement. the two do not necessarily mean the same thing.

and i'm NOT pointing fingers at nam's list.

Feb 10, 09 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Cowerd,
No, good point.
Even in terms of my list. Just because someone is trying to build for "the people" (read lower economic spectrum) doesn't mean they are necessarily doing any better a job at involving the community in the design process.

And actually one of the better attempts in recent time of community involvment is the work done my among other the folks at Airoots with their Urban Typhoon programs in Dharavi and Tokyo looking at alternate ways of developing community driven urban development and redeveloment plans..

Feb 10, 09 11:54 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

There's also the numerous community design centers associated with various architecture schools around the country - the Detroit Collaborative Design Center at Detroit Mercy is one that comes to mind.

the DCDC has done some pretty radical projects, like the Adamah Project (Urban Farming) in the 80s and 90s, and their collaborations with Kyong Park's Center for Urban Ecology...

Feb 10, 09 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
bigblobs

Isn't there a famous high-school? in the states from the 1970s that the design was totally generated from end-user questionaires?

Does anyone know the name of that project?

Feb 11, 09 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
age of the small

How about the Archis interventions that can be found in Volume?

Feb 11, 09 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: