Archinect
anchor

Rhino export question

archiwhat

Hi! I’m a new user of Rhino - love the program itself, a lot of things I couldnt’ do using other soft work nice there. The only thing I have difficulties with is exporting geometry to Max and SketchUp. I have all the export plugins installed, but those work not good enough.

When importing to SketchUp, the objects lose some of their edges. I can possibly redraw the missing edges but not on the round shapes.
When importing to 3d max, the wavy geometry gets destroyed.

Is it the usual thing or am I doing something wrong?

Thanx.

Feb 8, 09 8:20 am
difficultfix

I am asuming you export to max for rendering

If so there are many great rendering plugins for rhino which eliminate the need to export to any program. In regards to your question -I do everything in rhino so I really wouldn't know

Feb 8, 09 11:37 am  · 
 · 
nmiller.arch

make sure your surface normals are the correct way before exporting.

When going to 3DS, makes sure your mesh settings are set high enough that smooth curvature is maintained. You can also convert to mesh within Rhino itself so you can test different mesh settings before exporting to 3DS.

Why are you wanting to go to sketch-up from Rhino?... seems like step back, especially if there is non-orthogonal geometry involved. But, if you must, the same comments apply... So long as you have clean geometry (closed solids, correct normals, clean edges) exporting should be a snap.

Feb 8, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

why would you export rhino to sketchup? that's like putting 93 octane in your pinto

Feb 8, 09 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
archiwhat

ok, I was trying to do so because of animation in 3d max and SketchUp. But I understand from your comments it'd be better to learn the Rhino animation if I could find any tutorial.

I was also thinking of a quick render. I use Maxwell for final render but sometimes I need to show an image quickly.

Feb 8, 09 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Vray is pretty quik

Feb 8, 09 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Animation in rhino is pretty much take-it-or-leave-it. There are some simple tools but nothing even close to what max can do. My favorite way to import into Max from Rhino is to export the Rhino file as a .dwg, making sure that you have it set to export surfaces as meshes, and push the slider bar up fairly high. In max, use the 'file link manager' under the file menu to link the .dwg, like an xref, into the max file. you'll still have all the functionality and material capabilities, but if you change something in rhino you can update it quickly in max.

As far as sketchup goes, I tend to steer clear.

Feb 8, 09 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

for rhino export to 3dmax, i do it in .dwg, works perpect.

Feb 8, 09 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Bongo

or try mesh to nurbs or making a mesh that is using the "QuadsMesh" plugin

Feb 9, 09 10:28 am  · 
 · 
archiwhat

Thank you guys, I'll try everything)

I'm testing Rhino on a work project and I'm really happy with it. Now I feel I'm a God of Shapes!

Feb 10, 09 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

muahah

Feb 10, 09 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

*joins anti in an evil laugh celebrating another conversion/new addicton to rhino*

Feb 10, 09 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

or you could use NPower Power Translator software... Never really used it myself but looks like a nice piece of plugin

Mar 29, 09 3:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: