Archinect
anchor

NEED HELP MAKING THIS MODEL!

vyan

Our first stage was to build a pavilion from Maya using the hair simulation and we got this blob that was kind of inspired by a cocoon

here is a picture of its plaster phase before we did a final sand and spray painted it matte white as our last stage:

or if that didn't work try this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/vyan28/IMG_4826-1.jpg

it is made out of 90 sections of extruded foam(polystyrene foam), sanded down to get a smoother surface, plaster, now sanded, and already spray painted

our next phase is to build our final model, same size, 4'x8' with more structural components.
we should steer away from egg crate models but not illegal if we do use it unless we can make it more original instead of copying what is already done, but do you guys have any ideas to produce this thing with more structural/skin components?
I cant think of any other examples to be more original or innovative.

and maybe try to keep the costs low, if possible.

Feb 7, 09 6:46 am
allSTAR

since you already have the base model ready.. you could use it as a mold and cast the final model using resin (or liquid plastic) so your final model would actually be a thin resin shell of that shape.
smooth-on has a variety of mixes to suit every need.

Feb 7, 09 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Why do so many students always jump to the egg-crate structural solution when it comes to curving structures like this? In the real world most of these sexy, curving forms are almost always made out of concrete, or at least they used to be before CATIA. What you could try to do is make a mold of the form you've made using the existing model and pour concrete, making a shell. You can reinforce that shell with fiberglass, chickenwire, or what have you. Making a vertical support system inside the shell (i.e. cast columns) would also help considerably.

What i would do, is use my existing maya model as a base in the computer, then I would design my final model around the existing model including interior columns. Then I would make a negative out of my positive in the computer, break it up into sections for 3-d printing, place chicken wire of fiberglass in each section, glue it all back together and do one concrete pour to make the model. It will likely take a couple of attempts to get it right, but it would likely be far cooler and easier than making some silly eggcrate and gluing panels onto it. Use the 3-d printer to your advantage, I would've loved to have had one in my school.

Feb 7, 09 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i have a few questions..

1. why so big... i dont understand a large model for a school project. it's a waste of material and money.

2. use that form as a mold. cover it in aluminum foil and lay down some fiberglass/resin over it and build it up from there. might cost you about 120-200 bones just for that since it's huge

3. stay away from morphed designs...

4. see if you can scale down the model to .25 of that size. it will much be easier.

b

Feb 7, 09 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

1.we are required to do it in 1:10 scale LOL
and there's no exceptions

2. i think i like the resin idea, any others to make it structurally innovative? a hybrid of two, per say?

3. stay away from morphed designs? I am taking a technology class and in ucla.

4. cannot scale it down like I said earlier.

Feb 7, 09 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
binary

use the fiberglass trick.... cut it where u want to cut it after the fact...repair the cut line gaps.....now you have a hollow shell to work with.

i would recommend to break that model up into 2'x4' sections vertically. then on 2-3 of those sections... cut half the tops off so you can have an inner look after you place it all together.

tell your professor to change the scale next time.... big models are for ego boosters....

Feb 7, 09 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

i apologize in advance for this comment, but i'm feeling like a grumpy old-school architect today...

if you can't figure out how to build it as a model, how are you ever going to figure out how to actually build it as a building? isn't that the point of architecture?

Feb 7, 09 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

none taken. but its nice to share ideas.

Feb 7, 09 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

architphil

my thoughts, exactly. This is yet another example of the architectural education system failing the profession. What a big blob of whatever has to do with whatever is beyond me...especially if you cant build it

YOU SHOULD BE LEARNING HOW TO BUILD THINGS IF YOU WANT TO BE AN ARCHITECT, NOT HOW TO USE A COMPUTER PROGRAM FOR FORM GENERATION

Feb 9, 09 1:14 am  · 
 · 
binary

/holding my breath\

Feb 9, 09 1:16 am  · 
 · 
vyan

damn, you just shitted on my tech class.

Feb 9, 09 2:12 am  · 
 · 
randomized

if everybody sticks to what's known and buildable at first glance nothing would ever change. It's good that in university students try new things.
(and sometimes fail) even if it's a blob it can lead to new design/fabrication techniques for the whole profession.

Feb 9, 09 8:38 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

since when do architects "build things"? there's no point in learning that. architecture is about ideas.

Feb 9, 09 9:41 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

and dreams...architecture is also about dreams. don't forget that.

Feb 9, 09 9:42 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

especially daydreams...those are most helpful for the practising architect.

Feb 9, 09 9:43 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven
since when do architects "build things"? there's no point in learning that. architecture is about ideas.

LOL

I had to figure out how to frame a blob-like sun screen for an actual project a couple years ago. We ended up using a sub-structure of bent tubular steel that had a slightly counter shape to the metal mesh. the fun part was trying to figure out how to attach the screen back to the sub-structure. if you have a metal shop in your school, you could repurpose some pipe from a scrap-yard and start bending and welding...

here's something else you might find interesting - I really like how they made the connections:

http://www.instructables.com/id/PET_Wall/

seriously, though... if you are short on ideas, go to the school's art/arch library and start pulling books off the shelves - back-issues of old italian magazines... ID mag... the work of sculptors...etc... you'll find something that you could try. don't worry about being original or innovative - just find some kind of material(s) that interests you and play with it. and stay away from the computer for a while.

When I had these kinds of assignments in school I would dumpster dive at construction sites and see what materials I came up with. sometimes it worked, most of the time it failed miserably... the point is I experimented and learned from my mistakes.

Feb 9, 09 11:06 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

oh - it's not the schools that are failing miserably... I ran some design workshops a few years ago for elementary and middle-school students. the only kids who knew how to use scissors and glue where the kids who had recently come to the US from Central America. American kids don't build/make things in their spare time anymore, they play on the computer or with toys that tell them what to do.

Feb 9, 09 11:29 am  · 
 · 
mdler

architects dont know how to build things...they also dont know how to design things that can be built...they also are going to find themselves useless very soon

Feb 10, 09 1:58 am  · 
 · 
mdler

vyan

the UCLA tech class basically shit on itself, btw

Feb 10, 09 1:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: