Archinect
anchor

Paint color for brick on 1950's ranch.

Dialect

What color paint should I use on this 1950's ranch styled house.

Oct 30, 13 2:12 pm
Non Sequitur

Why are you painting the brick?

Oct 30, 13 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

yellow.  and plant a tree.

Oct 30, 13 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
DCist

Why are you painting the brick? Paint the door and window trimming too.

Oct 30, 13 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

White or gray would be the period choice. But once you paint brick there is no going back. You'll never be able to restore it to its original condition, and you'll be committed to repainting it forever.

Oct 30, 13 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't know where this house is situated but in my climate, painting brick is a big "no-no" unless you seek out very specific paint. The freeze-thaw cycle combined with heavy rain will tear the brick off the house within a year or two if the paint prevents evaporation/drying of the moisture in the cavity and brick.

But, since it's not my house, I believe Hot-Pink is a good choice and, let's not forget, traditional. Apparently that's in huge demand everywhere.

Oct 30, 13 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
RepOne

I agree with the cautionary comments. I think it depends on a lot of things:

climate: in a dry climate, the paint may remain without maintenance, whereas, in more humid climates, cavity walls are typically constructed behind the brick, to conduct moisture up and out. 

Generally, only old, or bad looking brick is painted, or coated with Thoroseal, or some-such. Although it can be factory glazed, brick is not meant to be painted, as it is porous, and needs to breathe, and why it is a poor insulator. Moisture from behind will become trapped and delaminate the paint, and even damage mortar joints.

Here in NYC, pre-war and older brick walls are routinely painted and sealed, if for nothing else, to keep heat in, and moisture out. Nonetheless, great brickwork is all over the historic or regulated districts.

Oct 30, 13 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

The color of the money that is my hourly rate.

LOL sorry.  Surprised Miles didn't beat me here to post this!

Oct 30, 13 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

Here's a freebie.....Do not paint the brick. If you do not like the brick, sell the home to someone who does, and move somewhere that is not brick.

Oct 30, 13 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Brick red, of course. That will be $250 please.

Oct 30, 13 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

I agree that painting brick is somewhat a tragedy and a bad idea long term from a maintenance standpoint. Still, if you want to paint your home, you should go through a process like this:

1) What colors do you like?

2) What colors are your neighbor's homes? (kinda silly to paint your home the same color, or a color that will clash with the surrounding homes)

3) Will the color(s) that you like actually look good on a home? 

4) What colors will make you feel comfortable in your home? 

5) Are you willing to be adventurous? 

6) Will the color help you sell the home for a good price when it's time to sell?

7) What accent color(s) will go with the body color of the home?

8) What climate do you live in? (Miami would have different colors than Chicago...)

9) What are your goals with the color?

I personally love bright colors on homes. I often find myself living in northern climates where the generally dull homeowners paint their homes generally dull colors (white, gray, beige...) - exactly the same colors as the gray sky or dirt most of the year. These colors are boring and depressing. I like a brightly colored home to give some cheer during the long winter months. But I also feel that I have to complement the homes around me. I might like a bright green, but if the neighbor's homes are green on both sides I might choose a different color. Then, I also need to consider the style of my home. In the 1950's (I suspect your home is not actually 1950s, but hey...) there was a certain amount of adventure with color, with somewhat pastel brights and muted primaries. You should look through old magazines and advertisements to see what colors were popular. Some of these would look very contemporary today. Teal? Sunshine yellow? Pinks? 

Now, go on Sherwin Williams' website and look at some of their tools to visualize color. You can mix and match until you get something that looks good. Don't pull the trigger yet, but do pick up a quart of the color(s) you are interested in and put them on the home to see what they look like large and in place. Tweak the color selection based on what you see. You will probably go slightly less bright than the original selection. 

Pick a good accent/trim color that picks up some of the secondary hues in the body color. (for example a creamy white works well with a yellow body color...)

that will be $251 please. LOL

Oct 31, 13 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

...and this concludes another episode of "Who Wants to Give Out Free Architectural Consultation?"

I'm giving the original poster a benefit of doubt and assuming their question is innocently seeking advice, but this is why everyone complains about not making enough money in architecture. Look at all of these posts quickly offering educated opinions. Advice IS our livelihood as a profession.

I know I'm going off on a tangent, but I get frustrated by stuff like this.

Oct 31, 13 10:37 am  · 
 · 
gruen

I don't think it personally takes away from me to give advice. I wonder often if the attitude that's common on this forum reduces our status in the eyes of the public that visits here. 

Of course, if anyone wants to send $251 bills my way, my mailbox is open for business. 

Oct 31, 13 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

@ Gruen

I try hard not to be snobby or inclusive on here, but free design advice is not something I'm willing to give. Would you expect to drive up to a mechanic's shop and get someone's opinion on a part? Could you call up a lawyer for free legal advice? Maybe, but I wouldn't expect you to have much success.

Oct 31, 13 11:43 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Actually, I've found other professionals to give free advice, both in person and online. I do draw the line between advice and work, with the difference being commitment and time.
Oct 31, 13 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Why would you take a 100+ year maintenance cycle and replace it with a 3-15 year maintenance cycle?

Oct 31, 13 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Free advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

Which is often more value than you get from a professional.

Oct 31, 13 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

As other posters have noted, painting the brick can end up causing serious damage to the wall.

Oct 31, 13 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

Painting brick isn't a good long-term strategy, and it's not Modern.  That said, I love painted brick.

Oct 31, 13 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

"Go Green" for green revolution and paint it with Green paint

http://www.synarts.com/

Nov 1, 13 12:15 am  · 
 · 

forgetting the functional/wear argument, why aesthetically would you want to paint brick?...

Nov 4, 13 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I'm sure you could pigment brick without effecting the ability of the brick to leach absorbed moisture. You just have to know how. Since the going rate seems to be $250, I'll ask for $500 for specifics :)

Seriously though,  this is a web forum. We really shouldn't expect the general public to get that this is a professional dialogue. Probably the snarky comments do more harm than good.

Nov 4, 13 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Dont paint the brick.  Paint the wood trim. White preferably.

Nov 5, 13 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: