Archinect
anchor

What laptop/pc is most appropriate for an Architecture student?

Under £1k (under about $1.5k?)
To use mainly photoshop, rhino with the occasional bit of vray

what sort of things should I be looking for? (minimum requirements and stuff like that)  I don't know how good the graphics card needs to be as they are mainly graphics software, but I'm not planning on using it for games etc?

also after having an ssd for a while I don't think I could go back to hdd

Oct 28, 13 1:59 pm
natematt

oh look, this thread again...

In my mind a pretty solid laptop for it would be as fallows
- i7... if you check on cpubenchmark.com anything scoring over a 5000 should be pretty good.
- 8gb+ RAM
- 1gb+ graphics card

And as you want a SSD you should probably get a laptop that fits two drives so you can run everything on the SSD and store things on a larger/cheaper hdd

You should be able to get something with a little better numbers than those numbers for 1-1.5k depending on the brand.

Oct 28, 13 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Check out Sager. They are kinda known in the gaming world as the competitor with Alienware, and they are way cheaper due to lack of advertising and all that.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/

I am still rocking my 17" laptop with the 10 pad on the keyboard 5 years later, and the replacement of the initial hard drive about 4 months ago, but that is about the life of most HD these days.

PS~ Always rock a cooler pad on your laptop if you didn't know.... I have, and I attribute the longevity of this computer to that as well as it being made well, unlike Dell, HP, and the like.

Oct 29, 13 11:10 am  · 
 · 
peterwon

An ideal architecture laptop would be equipped with a workstation-oriented graphics card, such as the Nvidia Quadro brand, which is optimized for dense 3D modelling, video/image editing, and CAD software. However, mobile workstations aren't as affordable or ubiquitous as laptops configured with Nvidia Geforce graphics cards, which are mainly geared towards gaming but still do the job. Workstation laptops are generally pretty bulky, with the exception of the thin/lightweight Dell Precision M3800 that has a base price of $1800 USD. Though Dell has many reported quality issues among thousands of dissatisfied Inspiron and XPS customers (myself included), their Precision line has consistently maintained a very high reputation among professional designers. Whether you decide to go with Geforce or Quadro graphics, a quad-core i7 is highly recommended since rendering programs like Vray and Maxwell practically max out every CPU thread. 4-8GB of RAM should be more than enough to run architectural applications.

Nov 22, 13 10:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: