Archinect
anchor

How is architecture school like a space station????

bfraumeni

How is architecture school like a space station????

Is it even like one??

any ideas?
what's the first thing that comes to your head?

this is a research question for studio project, if you can help please leave an answer. Also, if you are ok with leaving your firm, studio, or school's name, and your relationship to the firm, studio, or school. Detail is much appreciated. thanks

Feb 2, 09 2:33 am
holz.box

once in, you can never leave.

Feb 2, 09 2:39 am  · 
 · 
bfraumeni

thanks. let's get the people going!!! more responses

Feb 2, 09 2:43 am  · 
 · 
nmiller.arch

both are disconnected from the rest of humanity.
both are expensive.

Feb 2, 09 2:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

unlike archinect, in space no one can hear you scream.

Feb 2, 09 2:47 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

purile guess, just ignore if mine doesn't make sense.

space station frequently communicate and coordinate with space shuttles from different nations to engage in their research. similarly, arch schools often communicate with other schools or architects to provide broad exposure to students.

i wish there's anti-gravity room in arch school. it'd be a good remedy after being verbally-raped and murdered by reviewers..

Feb 2, 09 2:56 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

no gravity.

...what, you had gravity at your school?

Feb 2, 09 4:18 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

lord, i hope your studio professor didn't come up with this topic. if he or she did, god help you.

Feb 2, 09 7:42 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Like the international space station, architecture studios have crap piled precariously all over the place and look like floating garbage dumps. I saw a show about the ISS and could not believe what a disaster that place is inside. They use the Soyuez (spelling) space capsule as a gear storage bin. It looks like a 13 year old boy's bedroom.

Feb 2, 09 8:49 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just watched Sunshine this weekend. I'd say it's a beautiful science fiction film most of the way through, thought the last bit was a little predictable/disappointing.

The space ship in the movie is a voyager, not a "station", but was in space for predicted three+ years so had to take on some of the qualities of a station, such as being self-sufficient, but without the possibility of delivery of new supplies like a station might have.. They had an "oxygen garden" that supplied fresh produce as well as oxygen for the crew. They also had an "Earth room" that was like the holodeck (sp?) in Star Trek - an immersive virtual environment that could help them feel connected to Earth.

Parallels in architecture schools would be the vending machines (or snack bar/cafe if you're lucky) and the internet. If my old arch studio had been equipped with a shower I probably would rarely have left.

Feb 2, 09 11:23 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

people have sex in the bathroom stalls

Feb 2, 09 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

You feel vastly superior to everyone else, and initially everyone else agrees until they get to know you at which point they realize you're quite boring in your ability to reduce everything to the importance of your chosen field without the usual upside of the boring, silence.

Feb 2, 09 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

i concur with your review of sunshine, lb. i was into it until it turned into a zombie flick.

Feb 2, 09 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

in both, you have to pee in a bag

Feb 5, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

yeah yeah. you have to poop in a spray booth.

Feb 5, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
T D

This is the type of "research" that happens in the Ivy Leagues?
archinect surveys?

Feb 5, 09 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

You float upside down and smash into the walls of the studio?
no, wait, that was after I ate those weird mushrooms...

Feb 5, 09 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: