Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Critique

Hello all,

This is my first attempt at putting a portfolio together and as my school doesn't offer any portfolio classes so I was hoping to have my critique here... please be as direct as you want, all advice is appreciated!

FYI, I'm a second-year bachelor student preparing my portfolio for internship applications, the text may be small on issuu as this is meant to be an A3 booklet...

http://issuu.com/ben_james/docs/consolidated_draft_no_sketches

Lastly, I've used tips from other critiques on this site a lot in preparing this already so thanks for that!

Ben

Oct 27, 13 4:02 pm
Roshi

Ben,

From a first glance, I would recommend three things:

1. Put the "Photos" and "Models" sections last, and bring your best project in to the beginning of the portfolio. You want to make a strong first-impression. Actually, you also want to make a strong lasting-impression, so perhaps ending with another strong project can be something to consider too. Also, be careful of putting your CV on there if they ask you to email them your resume/cv individually. I think its best not to repeat yourself. And if you do insist on having it in there, put it at the start.

2. Your tempo is almost there, but I think it can be spaced out a little more. Your at 13 pages, so you shouldn't be shy to expand your work. Try hitting 20 pages as a start, but be wary of going over that. Let the money-shot images breath by themselves. Remember, the employers will, most of the time, "flip" through these portfolios, so you can't count on them to absorb every little drawing that is pushed to a corner.

3. In addition to fixing the tempo, I think it would also help you to put some captions for some of the pictures. You have several pages that just have photos and rendering plastered all across the page. Its neatly presented, but it takes a while to understand exactly what I'm looking at. Perhaps a little caption or title to some of the drawings can help.

Also, you might want to think twice about putting a photo of yourself on there. I know a lot of people do it, but to me it usually comes off as just a little narcissistic, more-so when it is presented in a very artsy manner. You never know what the employer will think when he sees your photo, but it is more likely to be a negative reaction if any at all. I remember reading some article on putting portraits on resumes/portfolios and their potential consequences. I think putting your name on that page in slightly bigger font might be a better presentation. This is just my opinion though, perhaps you find some benefit in a photo.

Overall, nice works.

Oct 27, 13 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
ben_james

Thank you so much Roshi, these are really helpful comments and your logic is clearly explained! I will work on incorporating them. Thanks again.

Oct 30, 13 10:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: