Archinect
anchor

forms under solar influence

crgixxer

I'm looking for info on using solar angles to shape an inital form that would respond to the movements of the sun

A good example of what I am taking about is in the book "evolutionary architecture" by john frazer, and wanted to explore forms under solar influences. (guy westbrook,1993....the image is on page 64 of the book) or at http://www.aaschool.ac.uk/publications/ea/intro.html
(Section2, last page)

Since my thesis is proposing a vertical farm, the vegetation has such an obvious relationship to light, I would like to attempt something similar to this to begin the massing, but have been unable to find any further info about the project, or solar influences in modelling in general. I can't even seem to track down contact info for Westbrook.

If someone could point me in the direction of where I could find more info, that'd be great. My web searches have been fruitless thus far.

Jan 28, 09 4:35 pm
ff33º

check out teh most recent AD..there some good information on this new trend of "morpho-ecological design"

Jan 28, 09 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm not sure i understand this, all non-subterranean objects respond to the movement of the sun...

as far as forms...

i think foster's gherkin was derived to reduce footprint and shadow

future systems had a lot of projects where the orientation and roofscape are a response to sun.

same w/ piano.

Jan 29, 09 12:28 am  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

Go back to some of the work from the late '70's -- G.Z. Brown, John Reynolds, Carl Stein etc. I believe Brown's book Sun, Wind and Light showed using solar access principles to design a town, but there are many other pubs from that period, too. Would be interesting to see how the "wedge of cheese" forms of that time can be updated with current tools.

Bonus: while googling to remember the title of Brown's book I found a nice annotated bibliography from the library at Berkeley which also includes web links to data sources:

Solar

Jan 29, 09 2:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: