Archinect
anchor

Revit envy

We have a few copies of autocad revit floating around studio and I want to know more about the program before I open my big mouth on the topic. What does it do? Who uses it? Is it effective? Do I need to get it?

Oct 7, 04 12:42 pm
Per Corell

Hi

It say AutoDesk on the boxes right _
What do you expect to find, somthing to build 2D fantasies or a product in the network of programs acturly made to work.
Maby you find that all those niches are fully covered in this one program and in the same way as how "different" do you things can be made on various programs with the same processors and desktop program, maby the application make you realise what software there is and what work best . It's not my favorit but no bad program.

Oct 7, 04 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

did you actually answer his question or are you talking in riddles?

Oct 7, 04 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
richardtaylor

so... I looked around, and didnt find much literature on Revit, but I want to know more about it than just reading ads. I gather that its a plug in of somekind...

Oct 7, 04 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
papa

REVIT is the new Architectural Desktop - Autodesk said so much a few years back. Used to be a small MA company, perfected the object oriented assemblage of space. Some good elements to the program, but not very easy to detail in...hold on to your CAD so you can import/export your existing details.

Oct 8, 04 12:17 am  · 
 · 
illogic

REVIT is a stand alone product taken over by Autodesk in a desperate attempt to stay in touch with ArchiCAD. In doing so they effectively put Architectural Desktop to rest, leaving Arch Desktop users the choice of switching now or being 'left behind'.

In my humble opininon (we use ArchiCAD in my office and we have used a trial version of REVIT given to us by one of the Autodesk distributers in town) once ArchiCAD integrates lightscape rendering into version 9 there will be no need for any other package. The GDL scripting language and co-ordinate system is a bit clunky but once you get the hang of it can be a powerful parametric tool.

Oct 8, 04 1:59 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

REVIT is the new Architectural Desktop - like chalk is the new cheese!

Oct 8, 04 3:41 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i am in with illogic.

i was using revit way back in the day day when revit was on its own and trying to compete with autodesk.

i have no idea what revit is like now, but archiCAD seems pretty well developed in that it hasn't been passed around a whole bunch. i dont know if it is a plus or minus, but they are constantly coming out with upgrades.

when i was a student we had an archiCAD rep come in and give us the spiel. he convinced us into buying a copy of the student version (and then informed us that it was easy to copy the disc and distribute the keys). so it came out to something like, $10 for each of us.

Oct 8, 04 11:56 am  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

We use revit in the office, definitely a step up from autocad with no frills. I use Architectural Desktop 2005 at home, much better than revit as far as whole project functionality. Can't really compare to other products as I have been using autocad since release 12.
revit does good initial design and drawing. Its a real pain to do keynotes, details, just about anything related to construction documents, with the added frustration of an unfamiliar interface (for autocad or desktop users).
As far as Autodesk dumping adt, I see a hybrid in the future (architectural deskrevit?). Even if they don't keep the name(s) the outcome will be that the two are indistinguishable from one another.

Oct 8, 04 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Richard McCarthy

I think Revit is a lot easier to use than ArchiCAD ever was. I am not trying to bash other platform but from my experience I found Revit have the most intuitive interface. It's very powerful parametric building CAD software, and it is the future that Autodesk is going to support. (ADT is going to be phase out for sure)

There are a slew of new features for Revit 7 that's going come out 25th of October so it's worth take a look :)

PS.
The new Freedom tower that's been design by SOM are designed and documented in Revit.

Oct 10, 04 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

It's all AutoCrap.
Did you see what they want for this Crap $5,290 for ADT 2005.
5,190 for Revit.... its all Crap.
Its not even worth the time to download it free from the internet.
Do yourself a favor try ArchiCad or Bentley. Read Cad Programs.

Jan 3, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: