Archinect
anchor

Interview Scheduling

The Job Captain

Hello all

Perhaps this topic has been mentioned before. I recently moved and switched jobs. Unfortunately, my new employer isn't the friendliest individual in the world, and considering how he treats the other employees, I foresee serious problems. While the work is great, and it's good to have work, a couple other firms have shown some interest when basically no one is hiring. I'd like to talk to them, but I want to be discreet about it so as to not put my current position in jeopardy. What you do you normally do in this situation? Tell him you have a doctor's appointment and cut out for a couple hours?

Truly Yours,
The Job Captain

Jan 21, 09 11:56 pm
Misen

Say you had a pre-arranged travel plans. Tickets are booked, etc... Say you'll take those days off without pay, etc...

Jan 22, 09 12:26 am  · 
 · 
The Job Captain

No other thoughts?

Jan 22, 09 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

I was working in the SOM bullpen at the time I was interviewing for a position. With six tabletops facing each other, back-to-back with twelve more, and shared phones, there was zero privacy and a great deal of eavesdropping. (Even carrying a soft leather semi briefcase and wearing a suit was cause for serious speculation.) Anyways, I had a friend call fifteen minutes beforehand, and I pretended we had a conversation about emergency plumbing repairs - and I had to go - RIGHT NOW! And away I went.

Jan 22, 09 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
urbanaa

sounds like you will have to use all of the excuses you can think of. i interviewed 10 times for a position outside of architecture (at an investment bank--back when they existed) and arranged all of my interviews before work....

good luck

Jan 22, 09 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I've always wondered about the check-references phone call, to your current employer from whichever firm you've interviewed with. How on earth is THAT handled?!

Jan 23, 09 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

if we're asked not to, we simply don't call the current employer.

Jan 23, 09 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Yeah, but doesn't that look bad?

Jan 23, 09 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
yarchitect

what I've done in the past is schedule interviews first thing in the morning, say you have a dr. appt. or car maintenance or something. Car maintenance sometimes is unpredictable in terms of length of time. Or ask your potential new employer to schedule an interveiw after hours (say 6:30 or 7pm).
I've even come in on a Saturday for an interview. It all depends on the firm culture.
In terms of references, I never list the current employer. Always go with a previous employer who you had a good relationship with (and make sure you ask them before you list them). You can also list co-workers who you trust (better if they are your supervisor) or professors from school.

Feb 1, 09 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: