Archinect
anchor

Skin material? - Jean Nouvel's Symphony Hall

kaysc

Does anyone know the material used for the exterior skin of Jean Nouvel's Symphony Hall in Copenhagen? We would like to use a similar material in a project and I can't seem to find anything about it.

Here's a link to the project if it helps : http://www.arcspace.com/architects/nouvel/dk_concert/dk_concert.html

Jan 21, 09 10:45 am
snook_dude

You need to ask PER as I'm sure he and his buddies are trying to get some of that material to sheath the side of his wall for Galleria.

Jan 21, 09 11:28 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

it looks like the blue construction mesh LPS used for the maryhill double

Jan 21, 09 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

At the opening the architect was quite disillusioned about the projectors work at the various walls of rooms surrounding the concert hall. And yes it looked bad- One build in projector in one corner producing a confused rotating image mede from various cokirs and shapes, but only covering some few meter. Next to it, a pseudo Disko dancelight, a few more just reozen in some wierd pattern and all in complete disharmony, with the shape of the rooms, the colo on the walls, -- as like fake projected images was trying to shout a fake messeage or gragging about technikes not mastered by the workers. The archiect had a clear vision abut projected images would work, but even hours was spend trying to compensate, it seemed wong from the beginning.
The outher skin is no different than any Curtain wall, and that is what can be said about that.
Offcaurse projected images could have worked, but just everything was wrong, -- there maybe one corner where it work, but generaly it produced a cheap and unskilled touch to an othervise beautifull house.
---- Please remember that this building allmost ruined the danish Television, it is so expensive that hundreds or thousands has been sacked and even the programs now are the lowest standard ever, -- the same 30 year old films are send now six times within a 14 day periode, and the programs became so boring that it's better to download a good film, --- well scandal is not the word about the extra costs, this building will within a few years, ruin the company that had it build.
Case you seen smart projected images on the outside surface, remember please, that these are easy to make in a computer program, and there would be no meaning to do these on that building skin, as very few would ever see them as how the building are situated.

Jan 22, 09 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Your question was about the Curtain wall, but from the type of architecture, --- this idear architets had some 30 years ago about building a huge greenhouse, and then the building core inside that, ---
The box is not the issue.
What I said about the projected images ; tes they could have worked, but it seemed the useal problem, that the architect emagine wrong, that it ask more than just a few Disko projectors, and more even in terms of knowing why it will not work like that, -- sad as in all the colorfull commersials, proberly made in a 3D program, it was easy to place overwhelming projected arts, but in the real world, it anted down to a dusin Disko display's that didn't even match with the colors on the walls.

Jan 22, 09 9:29 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I knew Per would rise to the occassion...Thanks Good Buddy!

Jan 22, 09 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Well one can allway's find a small detail and complain about that, what's important is how the music play.

Jan 22, 09 9:35 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Per,

The post I read about this building was postive praise....you just outted a reporter who knows absolutely nothing about projection
of images as an architectural element. After filtering thru you comments I'm starting to wonder if the Architect Mr. French is
also lacking in his knowledge. I hate it when public buildings are
used as and experiment for the public and the architect was just
playing with some design concept in his head which would play
out in the real world just because he said it would.

Jan 22, 09 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Well offcaurse it is possible to use light as this architect obviously wanted, --- just a fact, that in this circumstance, avoiding lights and allowing someone with a feel of color, would have made this small detail better than placing silli Disco lights and rotating patterns. As I said not even the "screen" was prepared for it, --- but the architect was so much aware that on the opening night, he ran around trying to change it. Now I focus this detail only becaurse what I saw, was just wrong, and I think I can emagine, what a different display would add.

Jan 22, 09 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

In other words. I am not trying to act as critic, --- others allready described the works. But during the years this project been going on, the promoters has again and often looked at the arts sceen, and what is more spetacular than placing huge portraits on the glass walls, -- just sad when things work different in real, only bad that the animated sketches can not sp easy be made in real. That's what make me comment, as it is easy to borrow spetacular display's and add the touch of those who realy make the experiments, to brighten up an othervise boring Curtain wall.

Jan 23, 09 8:09 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

--- Sorry, but I remember the somewhat different project, from when it was first chosen, and Na. there was no projected portraits or illimunated blue, that was not in the jar of contempory glitter back then.

Jan 23, 09 8:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: