Archinect
anchor

Let's play: "Will this work"? (Conceptual idea)

Preditan

Ok ladies and gents, time to play the game of "Will this work"? Specifically talking about the image attached, will those tall columns support such a mass that is essentially floating over mid-air? This is a conceptual project for a vertical aquaponics farm. Throw any suggestions out there! 

Oct 22, 13 4:26 pm
Non Sequitur

What's your budget? If your answer is unlimited times infinity, then yes, it's rather easy.

Joking aside, it's doubtful that those long columns would hold up even their own weight before buckling let alone volumes of water (aquaponics?) . If you want to add the slightest hint of realism to the project, consider mirroring the cantilevers equally on each side of the cylinder and extend the structure through both projections. It is how MVRDV achieved their large projections in the WoZoco Apartments, Amsterdam.

Oct 22, 13 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

His budget seems to be about 95% completion on a a preliminary rendering.

Oct 22, 13 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Pete, I know, I've seen better from first year students but I am intrigued on how the OP achieved such slender roof lines... I can't even get entrance vestibules with less than 600mm thick assemblies where I am.

Oct 22, 13 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Not without lateral bracing.

Look at your proposal. Think about other tall, slender columns supporting platforms that you've seen. Consider bridges over steep canyons. Are they braced trusses of steel? Are they slender concrete that curves out wider at the top? Are they cable-stayed masts?

Think about buildings you've seen, analyze how they accomplish something similar to what you want to accomplish, adjust accordingly. Easy peasy.
Oct 22, 13 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Easy. Just make the columns out of Plasteel or Rearden metal. Or you could use Bolonium.

Oct 22, 13 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

What's the CSI MasterSpec number for Anti-Gravity Generators? I forget.

Oct 22, 13 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

why do you think they keep so quiet about division 47?

Oct 22, 13 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

Bolonium would definitely be easier.

Oct 22, 13 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

nope, will not work.  did this come from a cardboard concept model?  you don't have to take those things literally... half those floating projects you seen in school are due to that.

Oct 22, 13 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Preditan

Nailed it ^^^^^^^^.

It's very conceptual and will most likely change in the coming days. I appreciate all the feedback! Awesome stuff. 

Oct 23, 13 12:15 am  · 
 · 
led signal light

conceptual idea ≠ cornceptual idea

Oct 23, 13 1:44 am  · 
 · 
Preditan

Check it out. This idea provides more floors for farming without going going too high in the sky. Thoughts? 

Oct 23, 13 10:58 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Your slabs are still absurdly thin.

Oct 23, 13 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Preditan

They will be 1'-2' thick, right now it's just trying to get the form/function solidified before detailing everything out. 

Oct 23, 13 11:19 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Didn't Lafarge come up with some ridiculously strong carbonfiber/concrete mix?  Heck maybe just go to a carbon fiber honeycomb, might work.  Similar to the Arup carbonfiber towers.  As long as budget's not an issue.

Maybe filling the space with helium would help?

not practical... but heck who cares.

Oct 23, 13 11:44 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Assuming post-tensioned concrete, your structural slabs will be 8" to 10" thick with a maximum span of around 30 feet to 35 feet and maximum cantilever of around 10 feet. If you don't have any shear walls (which you clearly don't) then all your columns will have to act as moment frames. That increases their size and means they'll all have flares at the capitals for moment load transfer.

Then, below the slabs, you'll have all your HVAC and lighting. You can expose that stuff, but it costs a lot of money to make it pretty.

Exposing the slab edges through the curtain wall like you've shown is a great way to let water leak through the envelope and create spalling problems on the slabs if you're in a climate where it gets cold. If you want that look, you're going to need to wrap the slab edges with something. That will make them appear a good deal thicker than what you've got shown.

And then all those floating UFO things look like they'll have some exiting issues if they're for anything other than large residential units...

Oct 23, 13 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

gwahrton, don't take this the wrong way but that post kinda turns me on. I love when people know what they're talking about, especially when they're talking about architecture.

Oct 23, 13 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

If there's any real information to be gleaned from this thread it's how to get Donna hot. 

Oct 23, 13 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

LOL Miles my husband is the only one who *really* does that.  But Brad Pitt talking about design comes pretty close.

Oct 23, 13 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Alien 8

Surprising, you guys aren't getting far off topic.

No, this won't work, but Brad Pitt will.

Oct 23, 13 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I forgot to mention that even a PT slab system will have all kinds of dropped beams between the columns, especially if you're doing moment frames.

***makes suggestive, alluring look***

Oct 23, 13 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Is it hot in here?
Oct 23, 13 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: