Archinect
anchor

unemployed? hope & advice

eigenvectors

1. during one recession, after graduating school, working for free, sent out 400 resumes in 3 days - employed with benefits 1 week later - doing awesome architecture.

2. worked for $6/hr once while unemployed for a half a year, may make 6 digits this year (or go bankcrupt)...be honest with your hours.

3. accept reality - your thoughts, your opinions, your education...irrelevant...what can you and how fast can you produce?

hope: ontologically speaking, when you realize that you deserve absolutely nothing for your past existence, when you accept the gutter you're existing in, and when you appreciate anything from here on out - shit will go your way.

you never are who you think you should be, you are always who you are...get in synch, quite dreaming and dreams come true, i swear.

Peace

Jan 17, 09 9:28 pm
binary

metaphysics

you have to experience the down sides a bit in order to re-vamped yourself for something else.... it's a learning curve

Jan 17, 09 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Go watch Fountain Head again.

Jan 18, 09 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

i charge so little an hour i work so much i make close to 6 figures in a recession.

ontologically speaking what does this mean?

never heard of the fountain head.

Mar 21, 09 3:17 am  · 
 · 

hm. while my experiences would sound very similar to eigen's, my take-away lessons are different.

sure, you are what you do and what you make, but that is such a small sliver of who you are. it's ridiculous to even say that your thoughts, ideas, and ambitions are not part of who you are.

i'd argue that it is THESE that will help you find your way to the next best thing, not your ability to simply produce.

during the last recession, i finally got to work for an architect for 8 months, after over a year of working in a bookstore and music stores and a cookie counter in a local mall.

despite having a job in architecture, though, too much of hearing 'don't think: DRAW!' from that guy pushed me to quit cold, move, and find a new job. best move ever.

there is no benefit to allowing yourself to be demoralized. and there is no liability to dreaming that things can be different.

Mar 21, 09 7:48 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Last recession I was let go, too bad, was right out of school designing a huge office complex, mostly be myself (would have been a super experience to see it through). BUT it prompted me to start my own thing, and I have never looked back or worked for someone since.

Bad times are just what everyone says - a great place to take pause and plan for the future, reevaluate where you are in life, etc. We will turn around sometime, and when we do it'll be the companies and people that have prepared that will move to the top.

Mar 21, 09 8:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: