Archinect
anchor

LEED exam scoring?

outthere

Ok so I'm about a week or two away from taking my LEED v2.2 exam(no date yet), but I've encourtered a little bit of a problem.

I had a free v2.1 practice exam and I just took it and passed! ...according to v2.1 you need 39/73 questions correct. I achieved a 47/73.

I just looked up the scoring of v2.2 and according to them its a scaled test ranging from 125 to 200 and you need a 170 to pass.

I know its scaled and theres no definitive # but around how many questions is a score of 170? At the end of the test did they tell you how many you got correct? And if so what was your score?

Jan 14, 09 7:38 pm
daydreamnation

The first time I took it (v2.2) I got a 169. Yes, I failed by one point on a point system that is not explained anywhere that I have found. At the end it just tells you what your score is and not how many questions you got correct.

Are you aware that a new version should be out soon? There is a new hierarchy to what accreditation a person can receive. I would look into previous threads that explain this more before you spend the money to take the test.

Jan 14, 09 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

damn ..i was hoping they let you know how many you got right

I am aware of LEED 2009 or LEED 3.0 ...I have done a little bit of research on it, what I have found is that currently (v2.2) there is a 34% passing rate and with v3.0 they are trying to reduce it to 20% passing rate.

As far as hierarchy of accredidation ..im not really sure, but thanks for the heads up ..I will definately look into it.

Jan 14, 09 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

In my experience, all the practice exams I took were far easier than the test itself.

Jan 14, 09 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

There has been some info published in the past about the scoring system. In some ways it's similar to the way the ARE is scored, in that some questions are "weighted" - i.e. they are worth more than others, and the raw score is converted to a scaled score. Also there are some un-scored questions on every exam, that are being evaluated for inclusion in future exams, but you never know how many or which they are. GBCI has answered some questions about things like whether there is partial credit granted for questions that require that multiple answers are selected (there isn't). You might try emailing your questions about scoring.
In general, if you can score about 70% to 75% on practice exams you'll likely pass.

Jan 15, 09 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I'm surprised that the pass rate is as low as 34%. I'm interested in where that information is published. I know that the pass rate on the first version was very high - said to be above 80% - and that they deliberately made it more difficult in v.2 - but 34% sounds very low. I don't know anybody who has failed the LEED exam, and the people at my test center said their center has a near 100% pass rate on that test.

Jan 15, 09 12:23 am  · 
 · 
outthere

I found the 34% passing rate here at ppi2pass and also on the AREforum ...but after thinking about it, that info. is probably b.s. and bias ...its good to here that the passing rate is not that low, although with a 400$ price tag i am def. not going to take this test lightly

Jan 15, 09 1:05 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I spent some time on the AREforum before taking the leed exam, enough to realize that those people must be pretty dumb. I'm hardly a genius but passed after reading to book over the coarse of one week, no additional studying needed.

Jan 15, 09 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I'm very curious as to where the ppi2pass site is getting that information!
But, I guess I'd take into consideration that ppi is a seller of study guides, and that all of their information is basically geared toward selling their products.
The AREforum is a more neutral site, but there's nobody there with any particular inside information - and USGBC/GBCI don't publish any pass rates on the current LEED exam.

I agree that all that's really necessary is reading the LEED handbook, and studying the information on the USGBC's site (the book alone isn't enough, because it doesn't include any info at all on things like submittal procedures or project team management - but there are many questions on those subjects on the test.

Jan 15, 09 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
dsze

I have taken the LEED exam and passed 2 weeks ago with around 10 days of study scoring 175. 70-80 hours of study is the max amount for LEED v2.2.

Some people mention that they have spent 3 months of study, they either over-study or try to pull the people off from taking the exam.

The ARE forum is very helpful and the most important thing is to able to create a spreadsheet of data (%, reference, EP) during the exam + knowing the LEED procedure well (I score round 65 on other parts but the LEED procedure score round 90 to average out the rest)

good luck to all the test takers!

Jan 17, 09 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

One thing to remember about the LEED exam is that the vast majority of people taking the test aren't architects. The background that an architect or architecture student has will usually make the LEED exam pretty accessible and passable (the language is familiar, most of the concepts are pretty familiar and basic). Our experience with the test is probably different than that of many of the people on the various LEED discussion forums. Many are realtors, government employees of various sorts, property managers, etc. They may not be as familiar with the general principals (HVAC, site, water management, etc.), or with the "archi-speak" of the handbook and test.

Jan 18, 09 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: