Archinect
anchor

Training for those laid off--what are you going to learn?

blah

For those of you who have been laid off:

Are you going back to school to learn new skills?

I would recommend looking to your local community college and see what they offer. For instance, Oakton Community College in Skokie is offering a 14 week introductory Revit class for about $300.(starts Feb 7th) That's pretty good compared to the private stuff I see offered where they want $200 for one session.

I'd love to take a good Rhino class but I don't know what's available in my area. Does anyone know of a good Rhino class available in the Chicago area?

Perhaps we should have a retraining section added to the Archmart?

What's available in your area?

Jan 14, 09 3:25 pm
Hasselhoff

I'm studying for LEED. Once that's done, maybe work on some Revit. Playing around with Rhino on and off just to stay sharp.

Jan 14, 09 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Here in the bay Area? I recommend Revit classes.

at San Francisco State University extension and
City College of San Francisco

also A.R.E. classes at SFAIA go to SFAIA.com

Jan 14, 09 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

a

Jan 14, 09 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Make,

I took a class with Master Academy at my previous office. I believe the website is Masterg.com/academy . In my experience just taking a couple day introduction course will be plenty to get you rolling. The program is really intuitive, and once you have the basic feel, additional commands come easily. I don't know the cost, since the company paid, but it was likely more than the $300. My instinct is that the 14 week course is kind of overkill, but maybe the amount works out to be about the same, two or three half days or 14, 1-hour sessions. I like getting it done in a smaller time frame, but I am sure others have different preferences.

Jan 14, 09 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Synergy,

Is that a Revit class?

Jan 14, 09 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Synergy,

I found it:

Revit Architecture Level 1 Rolling Meadows - Chicago March 24, 25, 26, 27 $1,495.00 8 Register By Request

$1495?

OUCH!

Jan 14, 09 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Ok, that sounds about right. I think it is a matter of preference. I can vouch for the quality, in my opinion the course was very informative and comprehensive and the small class size (in my case 4 students) allowed us to cruise through the material and not waste time. Following the course I immediately implemented the skills learned on a project and had few difficulties modeling in an accurate and timely fashion.

Wherever you go, just put the time in and look into the teacher/professor, if possible. I've also taken university level cad classes that hardly taught anything, so with the $300, 14 week course, you may be getting a great deal, or you may be getting what you paid for...

Jan 14, 09 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

retrain as an ambulance driver - the world always needs them...

Jan 14, 09 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

$40,000 for a professional degree
$2,000 for IDP, Tests and review materials
$500 p/y for aia dues
now $1500 for revit classes

in hopes of getting a mediocre job.

Wow, its starting become clear that the only folks able to scrape together a living in architecture is everyone but the architects.

seems like I'm better off selling watercolors in the park.

Jan 14, 09 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
blah

There are some great people at community colleges. Many times they are pros who implemented the software at work. Check 'em out! I'd rather pay $300 than $1500. Well, I have no choice. I don't have an extra $1200.

Jan 14, 09 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I teach REVIT freelance in LA to individuals and offices. I am pretty inexpensive. Email me if you want me to drop by sometime.

Jan 14, 09 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I taught myself Revit. We still have'nt migrated to it, seems to be an office revolt after a few projects against it. I'm going to learn how to use an etch-a-sketch

Jan 14, 09 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

I also teach Revit in San Francisco to individuals and offices. You can e-mail me if you need any to go over anything. I am pretty inexpensive also.

Jan 14, 09 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I agree with make and Synergy - the best software instructors are people who use it on a daily basis to do real stuff. They will teach you what you really need to know.

anyone interested in doing a "skill swap?" you don't have to pay for a class, plus both people learn something.

Jan 16, 09 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If you're laid off and eligible for unemployment you may want to check with your state and see if they offer any funding for training. Many states will pay some or all of the cost of courses in skills and technology related to your field (if you're collecting unemployment then the thinking is that the state's investment in your education pays for itself if it helps you find a job even a month or so sooner than you would have if you didn't have that training.)

Jan 17, 09 12:25 am  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

Be careful going to school can cause you to lose unemployment benefits since you were not fully available for work.

Jan 18, 09 11:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: