Archinect
anchor

RIP Coosje van Bruggen

What will Claus do? What will Frank do?

NYTimes & LATimes

Jan 13, 09 6:18 pm

oh my god... i am sorry... it is hard to believe she would ever die...
she was a big part of my fourth year in architecture school. i never forget that half a minute with her in their elevator in the soho building where they lived and work.
she had to take me up there to studio where claes was teaching to our class that afternoon and she and i were still in a conversation downstairs. she was wearing black leather pants and leather jacket. and it was one of those elevators with a gear lever. very beautiful lady and very great teacher. i had a one sided platonic crush for the rest of the winter. yr. 1980.
we saw the construction of the 'flashlight' in a warehouse. near nyack (?) i think. either that or nj.
it is probably the best sculpture in las vegas. one of my favorite art. a giant upside down flashlight in unlv campus emitting a dim light at the bottom, aligned to the 'strip'. it is loaded with meaning... we learned a lot from them about siting, scale and meaning. she was an amazing historian and critic.
it is also very fascinating to observe couples working as a team in fine arts. rest in peace indeed.

Jan 13, 09 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: