Archinect
anchor

What does an architect do??

I was wondering because at the moment in my free time in school ( I go to an online school so i do everything which is about 2-3 days and then have the rest off) i help my father at home with his work. I am familiar with Sketch Up and have recently gotten the 2013 version of Auto CAD but don't currently know how to use it. I am also wondering if floor plans are actually usefull in an architects carrer ( hand drawn ) as I have the ability to use all my fathers tools except for his drawing board and stuff. Sometimes he works on it with me and teaches it to me but he is old school and likes to do everthing by hand. I don't see a lot of him because he is a work. He earns upwards of 80k a year and my mother is a lawyer so I guess I don't see much of my parents. Anyway. WOuld someone be able to answer these questions:

How much free time does an architect have?

How much time is spent on free hand drawing of floor plans.

How much itme is spent on Auto Cad.

Is this job a happy one??

Oct 19, 13 10:23 pm
Wilma Buttfit

Is your dad an architect? You should have a decent idea of how much free time architects have then.

If you want to be an architect, you are going to have to work on your observation and communication skills.

Oct 20, 13 6:03 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Zak, most architects draw using the computer-autocad or revit. We generally hand draw sketches but not much hand drafting anymore. You will work a 8:30---5:00 job with some overtime if you work for a firm and if you work for yourself the hours will be longer (that's true for ANY job). I like my career and couldn't really imagine doing anything else. Today, the economy is very tough for young people and architecture is no exception, so there are people on here who will tell you not to do it.
Oct 20, 13 11:32 am  · 
 · 

Yes, my dad is an architect which is the bad thing. He doesn't hang out a lot because he goes to work from 2PM to about 12PM. He goes to sleep. Wakes up, watches TV for a bit and goes back to work. And how will I learn to use Auto CAd or Revit?? I have the software but don't know how to use it. My dad is old school so he cant help because he don't use a computer,

Oct 20, 13 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Also, I have AUTO CAD 2011 2012 2013 and want 2014 but it may be out of my system requirments. Which one is easier to learn??

Oct 20, 13 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Zak, don't worry too much about the software. It's just a tool. Autocad is really the same w each version, just work w whichever one runs for you. Architecture is more than drawing. You might pick up some of the Francis (Frank) Ching books from the llibrary
Oct 20, 13 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

OK.

Oct 20, 13 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

So then how will i practice at this age on auto cad or should I just go back to hand drawings and sketchup??

Oct 20, 13 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
apapaz
Learn rhino, and learn from YouTube or Lynda.com. Most professors won't teach you software but the schools will hold tutorials similar to ones you can find on your own.
Oct 20, 13 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

wait, 2pm-12pm means the only time he is not at work is for 2 hours between noon and 2?

or did you mean 2pm-midnight?  that would be a 10 hour day.  if you have an hour commute and an hour lunch, that's the same as every 9-5 everywhere.  that is not working long hours.  just out of curiosity, are you from the US or somewhere else (and if somewhere else, where?  like the country, not your address)?  i haven't seen very many people with work days that start at 2:00.  that would sort of seem like he works with an office 6 hours away, which is more or less the difference between US and Europe.  maybe Europe to china or something.  it also sounds like your dad is pretty old to be having a 12 year old kid, but whatever works.  more power to you

maybe you can ask your mom and dad who is happier with their career.  from what i've seen, lawyers often hate their job more than architects. 

Oct 20, 13 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

from what i've seen, lawyers often hate their job more than architects.

But not as much as architects hate lawyers. Sounds like a hell of a marriage.

Oct 20, 13 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

It is, my father does work in other countries. and he chooses the times that work best for them. My father is 50 years old. My mother hates her boss but loves the pay, my father loves his work, but not the hours. He is it work from 2:00 pm to midnight.

Oct 20, 13 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
If you are interested in architecture, you should learn about what other architects have done and what makes a great building great. Go to the library and find out what is interesting to you, and what architects are interesting. Then, you can draw what they designed to learn more about it. Do ask questions here and to your dad too.
Oct 20, 13 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i would do 2pm to midnight.  i hate mornings.  especially mondays, and one is coming up pretty quick here.

Oct 20, 13 7:43 pm  · 
 · 

Yes Yes. Mondays suck. My father come home early today. He wants to see if he could sell some of the designs he helped me with. 2 people have asked for the 2k sq home. It is a 2 story. How much should My dad sell it for??? He is asking me because it is my design Someone said about 500 dollars for the plans:) and my dad will give him a rate of 4$ a square foor because my mom is working on a caseand we have neough money! he is gonna let me in on his meetings!

Oct 20, 13 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Congrats! We can't tell you how much because we don't know your local market, but always sell for as much as you can.
Oct 21, 13 9:08 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Zak, I was wondering if you and your dad can help me design an iron man suit in exchange for me solving your architect problem!

breaker breaker,

over& out

Oct 21, 13 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

Theta, my father does not like this. he does not like the fact that you are not trying it yourself. He said that you should try and design it yourself and get back to him through me when you are done.

Oct 22, 13 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

well played zak ;)

Oct 22, 13 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
albarch

hi Zak, i'm a italian architect . I think these questions about your professional future is average for you , you are only a 12 years old kid . Anyway stop and  think if you would like to design the architecture ( from  chairs to skyscrapers )  irrespective of  whether you will do it by hand drawing or by Autocad .

Sorry for my not perfect english.

Oct 23, 13 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Zak, i fig. you wud say that, so i'll counter your offer with a war machine suit instead:) how does pops feel about that?

breaker breaker

over  & out

Oct 23, 13 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: