Archinect
anchor

fun with RFP's

silverlake

So I've recently been sent an RFP from the local department of Cultural Affairs for a pavilion for an international fair. It was exciting getting the call and being told I've been picked (especially for a cultural project in economic times like these); but then I got the package of requirements (the city has a lot) and got an overwhelming feeling that I'm totally out of my league.

I've only been on my own for a few years just doing small residential projects, by myself. I don't have any prior experience with the type and don't have a team in place; both of which they want. I have no idea how many firms are being considered.

I just don't want to waste my very limited time and resources on something if I don't stand a chance.. If anyone one has any insight into this sort of thing it would be extremely appreciated!

Jan 10, 09 8:59 pm
some person

Perhaps you could solicit proposals from consultants who can fill-in your knowledge gaps and build your team.

Jan 10, 09 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

the team will be key. how many people really have experience with pavilions at international fairs anyway? maybe hook up with a local exhibits company.

Jan 10, 09 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

wow, man, just live the dream.

Jan 10, 09 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
binary

hey silver.... i do exhibit engineering and cd's for interiors if you need a hand.

Jan 10, 09 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Jan 10, 09 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

i always loved this one by ando:

Jan 10, 09 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

Don't be afraid to call up the client's program manager who issued the RFP and talk to them -- you will get a much clearer sense of what they are really looking for that is conveyed in the written request, and perhaps make a personal connection so that you are included in the next RFP, too. And they will know your name when your quals. package comes over the threshold.

Also don't make too many shotgun consultant marriages - just get a couple of key team members and tell the city you will work with them to pick the rest.

Differentiate yourself from the big boys by emphasizing that you personally will be doing the work, not handing it off to the interns. You might include some research in the RFP to show them how you will make up for your lack of direct experience with the building type.

And finally, recognize that a 1 in 10 hit rate on RFP's is considered pretty good -- good luck.

Jan 12, 09 12:43 am  · 
 · 
theparsley

Sometimes the less known firms can win an RFP by putting a lot of extra effort into discussing project approach or showing design concepts and great graphics specific to the project. If you've got the time and resources to do that it can be worthwhile experience. All RFPs become recycling material for the next one anyway.

"shotgun consultant marriages" - I like that!

Jan 12, 09 11:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I like "shotgun consultants" too.

silverlake, I am suddenly feeling very familiar with that "in over my head" sensation as I am spending tonight reviewing the seventy-nine (79) page contract provided by the City for this little bus stop project I'm doing. Yikes. My typical residential remodel contracts are a 2-3 page letter that I write.

Scary, but I'm taking the leap. Hopefully I won't be here in a year crying over how dumb I was!

Jan 12, 09 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, and this contract is what required me to just write my first ever check for Errors and Omissions insurance. That was painful, but it means I'm a grown-up now, I guess.

Jan 12, 09 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
spark

Liberty,

For a week of firsts, come by our office on Friday and we'll give you your first beer (or bourbon)!

Congratulations on the contract!

Those checks don't get any easier to write...

Jan 12, 09 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm there, spark! I'd like to talk with you about this project anyway as it will be built right in your neighborhood.

Jan 12, 09 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Yes, insurance. Make sure you have enough of the RIGHT coverage! Premiums are expensive...good luck Silverlake, sounds like a dream RFP if you got the job.

Jan 13, 09 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

LB, just make sure you never actually use that coverage, or then you will really be writing checks! (E & O insurance = financing for claims)

Jan 13, 09 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: