Archinect
anchor

Re-using Materials of an Existing Building

weAREtheSTONES

I am currently thinking of ideas of how to reuse parts of a building I'm designing an addition for.

Things to be demolished: with the possibility of being re-used somehow.

-pre-cast concrete panels - maybe the panels are crushed and used as aggregate for the Shear walls or floors, or fill for under a new slab

-metal studs - possibly just re-use the studs as studs!?!?!?

-Gyp board(from the entire 8000sf building) - cant really think of a good way to reuse it...but there sure is a lot of it!

-Glass from a couple curtain walls - the glass isnt as efficient as the new curtain walls to be installed. maybe for some interior windows.

-aluminum mullions from said curtain walls - maybe the frames of the interior windows.

-Hollow core doors - ????

-pretty shitty acoustic ceiling and grid -???

-wiring - ??? Art piece?

-plumbing - ???

Some I have ideas for - some I dont.

Really I'm just looking for a couple of more ideas of the way YOU have re-used materials. They dont even have to be on my list. Maybe you have some light to shed on my re-use project.

BTW - Its a Teen Center, so educating the youngsters is definitely on the menu...if that means anything to you.

Anything would be great. TIA

wAtS

Jan 9, 09 4:49 pm
4arch

Hollow core doors - tables, furniture, counters. Never had much luck actually reusing them as doors.

Jan 9, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

you could reassemble the precast concrete panels like dominos to be your new structure. it's been done.

Jan 9, 09 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

The panels are being removed b/c they cant hold the building up anymore. But its a good thought - THX!

Jan 9, 09 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

use the mullions as a shelving structure

plumbing..as in copper.... braze up some copper trees or coffee tables

glass... use as tops for the coffee tables.. see if you can have them cut down unless they are tempered

hollow core doors... make table tops or hanging wall dividers..maybe toss some homasote on them for pin up walls

wiring... as in the metal coil type... just scrap it and get the loot.

concrete panels.... depending on how big they are, use them in the landscaping areas or make casters for them and use as dividers... not sure on the sizes though so that makes the difference.

metal studs,,, scrap them and get the loot....

Jan 10, 09 3:23 am  · 
 · 
randomized

check out 2012Architects or their website Superuse.org Their whole designphilosophy is based on re-using materials.

Jan 10, 09 4:59 am  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

The glass curtain wall can serve as a wind break and or canopy near primary entrances.

Gyp board can be recycled or composted on site to help the new landscape flourish.
http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/messages/messages/4/1664.html?1185663626

But it depends if it has certain chemicals added. See link.

Ceiling tiles can be sent to a salvage operation if they are intact, otherwise they can be recycled. Painting is not a good idea nor is using them in a damp setting such as outdoors, and many have some toxic flame retardants added so no composting.

I did see salvaged gyp used in a ceiling grid but this was more a cheap fix than a design innovation.

Jan 11, 09 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

randomized - THX alot! - That superuse website is great...exactly what Im looking for!

Jan 12, 09 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

And thanks to everyone for contributing useful info....I am Grateful!

Jan 12, 09 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: