Archinect
anchor

Sign of the times

Nice sentiment. Not the best example. Luckily.

Jan 9, 09 2:12 am
Bruce Prescott

sorry

Jan 9, 09 2:15 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

Architecture, maybe

but not architecture, and not the sh*t on that billboard.

Jan 9, 09 2:20 am  · 
 · 
jjh

wonder if they are hiring...

Jan 9, 09 2:34 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Even the muffler below is laughing at it.

Jan 9, 09 7:17 am  · 
 · 

i bet that building is steel stud and dryvit. 'forever...'

Jan 9, 09 7:54 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

I'll take the billboard over the awful AIA radio ads I've heard.

Jan 9, 09 8:35 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

lb's right. the muffler is a way better sign.

Jan 9, 09 8:40 am  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

we've stooped to advertising on billboards???

Jan 9, 09 10:22 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Unpredictablity can be just as forever as developer driven mediocrity can be forever.

See that picture kids! Laugh now until you are drawing the bathroom elevations for it.

Jan 9, 09 10:47 am  · 
 · 
citizen

The snobbery of architects never ceases to amaze me.

Jan 9, 09 11:35 am  · 
 · 
med.

The existence of the billboard itself doesn't really bother me but the painfully 90s graphics do!

The architecture is what it is....everyone has to make that kind of stuff sooner or later.

Jan 9, 09 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i wonder how many times a day people in that office have to suffer a principal saying "think outside the box."

Jan 9, 09 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
Jan 9, 09 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

Are'nt billboards Anti-Architecture?!?!?!?

MBH architects should be ashamed

Jan 9, 09 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

hah. san francisco's finest - with the hotel intercontinental in the background.

Jan 9, 09 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
led signal light

hey spruce, can you please verify the golden mufflers tel. no. & address, ?
334 folsom st. 415 543 8899 ???

thanks in advance.

Jan 9, 09 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

hey they have an office in newport beach .. may have to send them my resume

Jan 9, 09 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

golden gate mufflers & brakes center
415-543-8899 998 Folsom (at 6th)
"drive the difference"

For those making a pilgrimage, compare and contrast the building on the billboard with the Plaza Hotel one block north on 6th.

Jan 10, 09 12:54 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

what a waste of a billboard...

Jan 10, 09 1:44 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

That ad has zero sex appeal.
Did you make that up spruce?

Jan 10, 09 1:46 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

I look at it and I find it hard to believe someone really made that ad...

Jan 10, 09 1:48 am  · 
 · 
binary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5opUQe0kYcM
Jan 10, 09 3:07 am  · 
 · 
jjh

i am so happy to be unemployed

Jan 10, 09 6:41 am  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

I did not make it up.
Though I agree that the irony of the contradiction between tag line and image does appear to be good to be true.

Jan 12, 09 12:30 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

greenlander, you are absolutely right. There is nothing at all intriguing or mysterious about it. So bland.

And, I wonder if the diamond council people are going to go after them for copyright infringement - don't they own the word "forever"?

Jan 12, 09 9:01 am  · 
 · 
trace™

since when can architect's afford billboard advertising??

Jan 12, 09 9:12 am  · 
 · 
archie

So why don't one of you bright young things post an example of what YOU would do with a billboard and show us some of your fabulous 'forever' work? It is so easy to pick someone apart. Holz.box, You may not think the project is fabulous but it is certainly not S##t. Can't you just say that you wish it was a better example on the billboard, (whatever "better" means to you....) It is so easy for all of you to sit on your high and mighty horse and pick apart the people who are busting their butts and risking their dollars to keep you employed every day.
Go write a book if you don't want to build buildings that the average person can actually afford and use. The billboard is meant to appeal to the average consumer of architecture, and it does. If it was meant to appeal to snotty architects it would have been in dwell magazine.

Jan 12, 09 9:34 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

archie is pissed because he coined that sweet tag line.

What it is saying to me as an average consumer of architecture (whatever that is?) is that since my real estate that I own just lost 20% of its value I should go get me some architecture. yeah, that's it.

Jan 12, 09 10:39 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Hear, hear, Archie!

Jan 12, 09 11:01 am  · 
 · 
T D

It's not meant to be intriguing or mysterious.
It's a very simple ad... what you see is what you get.

Jan 12, 09 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

reminds me of this: a celebration of power point

Jan 12, 09 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

'The billboard is meant to appeal to the average consumer of architecture, and it does."

Ye speaks of things that do not exist. Or at least, are undefined.

Jan 12, 09 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
archie

Oh Yeah, I guess I should have said consumer of architectural services, or CLIENT. You know what I mean by average consumer: vp of design for some business, corporate guy, developer, owner of a hotel chain, etc. Don't you think that firm is trying to reach their average client? It is an ad for the consumer (in this case client), not other architects.
I think it is an ad to drum up business, not to make us other architects feel good about ourselves and our legacies.

Jan 12, 09 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

CLIENT is ambiguous. Are all clients vp's of design for some business, corporate guys, developers, or owner's of hotel chains? That firm is indeed trying to reach out their client base which can uphold their bottom line, maybe. So what does the quality of that ad say about that firm's position on its clients, its context and ultimately itself? That ad says 'I am asking for money without asking for money.' That ad doesn't make me feel bad about myself - just them, slightly.

Jan 12, 09 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

It is to drum up business. More mediocrity for more mediocrity. That's fine, just don't call it good/great architecture (mediocre architecture).

Jan 12, 09 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
archie

Of course "client" is ambiguous!! So is consumer, but companies still put up billboards to attract consumers.

I think the building they chose and the words they used are probably pretty effective for their target market which looks to be corporate, large project clients. It says that an investment in a building is a good one, perhaps better than in stocks- a building will be there, and can be lived in or worked in, even if its value on paper goes down, unlike stocks. So maybe it will get someone to take that project on the back burner off of hold.

At least they are doing something about a slow economy. It takes guts to spend money to advertise in a down market. Other architects in town should thank them for taking a pro-architect stance. That's more than the AIA has done lately.

Jan 12, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I noticed yesterday, as I have many times in recent years, the proliferation of printed plasticized canvas "signs" being used these days, at strip malls and storefronts, even draped over a more permanent sign on a post sign streetside or tied to the side of an office building. These signs are incredibly cheap and FAST to get, so I can understand (on some level) their popularity. But I have to wonder: If a business won't even invest in a long-term sign for themselves, how likely are they to see the value of building an edifice to their status and success?

Also: content and marketing message aside, that billboard is a sterling example of why architects should not do graphic design. I highly doubt it was done by a professional graphics firm. It's got recent grad using Photoshop and approved by a committee written all over it.

Jan 12, 09 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Cross posted with Archie, so I'll add that even in the face of an ugly billboard I totally agree with her(right?) last paragraph. The sentiment of the billboard is one I think most of us can support, even if we don't like this specific billboard.

Jan 12, 09 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

But that isn't a 'pro-architect' billboard - its a pro MBH billboard with a cheesy tagline and droll graphics. Times like these are the times to shine and impress, not dump all the effort. Do you think that office lacks anyone with enough graphic skill to present a marketing image with some awareness of the world around it outside the bottom line? Because times are uncertain we should stop being critical because we might not say nice things?

Jan 12, 09 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

LB - I've noticed a lot of those cheap canvas signs too. Usually they are on marginal businesses that probably have short term leases at less than desireable strip malls, etc. If you are Brand X Pizza Delivery Service why dump good $$$ into a permanent sign when the Dominos and Papa John's of this world will probably put you out of business within a year?

That said I'm no fan of the popular sign style of the day...backlit translucent acrylic. Almost would prefer the canvas. At least it's easy to take down.

Jan 12, 09 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
crave

why not use a classical example of architecture not something that was designed and built within the last 5 years and already looks dated?

Jan 12, 09 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

don't confuse your developer driven speculative architecture as being FOREVER. this billboard is false advertising. we are all used to this kind of work. shit most of us are doing it every day and smiling while we are bending over just to get a paycheck so we can go out and buy some cool frames and an iphone. you got to act as though you think the work you do is "architecture" that serves the client. you've got to tow that line and be a company man and act that this work you do is good for something. so its good for the client. yeah whateva otherwise, you'd probably defenstrate yourself at your next site visit. the architect's intent? suicide of course.

Jan 12, 09 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

It has a base and a cornice. What else could you ask for? Some Corinthian columns?

Maybe they should have used the pyramids... but I guess they didn't design those... oh and wait they're not really buildings.

Jan 13, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

So what are the characteristics of an architecture worth designing, building and advertising?

Jan 13, 09 11:50 am  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

I'd work there.....
http://www.mbharch.com/careers/benefits.htm

sometimes gettin paid is better than doing (A)rchitecture...

Jan 23, 09 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Touche', Croupier.

Of course, you'd have to endure the smug derision of some of your Archinect fellows who consider anything the public might like far, far beneath them. Oh, the shame!

Jan 23, 09 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

yeah well Like PJ used to say "I'm a whore".
I regularly do things that are beneath me in order to eat and keep the repo man away. I guess I'm just not too ashamed to admit it . Sometimes I think architectural criticism is just a cover for insecurity.

Jan 24, 09 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Man, MBH sounds like it treats its employees a hell of a lot nicer then Eisenman and Holl do.

Where do I sign up to design EIFS covered developer schlock and get paid like a professional instead of a wage slave?

For the record, the sign is pretty lame, but at least they're gettin' the word out!

Jan 24, 09 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
crave
some

of their work isn't too bad

Jan 24, 09 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Wonderful remark

Apurimac, Peter actually is great to work for. I wish we can all get rid of the sterotype that all greats are pain to work for. All except Zaha that is..

Jan 26, 09 10:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: