Archinect
anchor

Help me figure out the next move in my career!!

lobotomy79

What I am:

• female, 36 years old
  • mother to a son
  • 10 years experience in architecture firm as architectural designer
  • not licensed yet (but working on it)
  • high energy / active
  • I like the "big picture"
  • organized
  • resourceful
  • work well in deadlines
  • good problem solver
  • good people skills
  • fast
  • investigative
  • the human condition interests me

What I am not:

• very focused
  • detail oriented
  • free of responsibilities (i am a mom)

I am at a pivotal point in my career. I don't think i am cut out to be an architect based on the  traits I have listed above as well as a lack of contentment in my job today. But, I would like to use what i have learned in the last 15 years (school and work) in a profession that might be better suited for me. it can be related to building  or construction. I am willing to take classes and go back to school if needed.

Anyone has thoughts??

Thank you!

Oct 18, 13 3:52 pm
IamGray

What you want is government work!

Not sure what kind of opportunities your city/ county/ state/whatever has, but I could imagine  your organizational skills, resourcefulness, and ability to work well with others could be translated into a position in the planning department, or heritage/conservation / or parks and infrastructure...that sort of thing.

Oct 18, 13 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
lobotomy79

Interesting advice lamGray! never thought about that before...

Oct 18, 13 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
archgirl13

You should look into teaching - much more flexible schedule too

Oct 18, 13 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

Planning firm (big picture work)? In-house architect for a builder or an engineering firm (where someone else would have ultimate responsibility for the details)? 

Oct 18, 13 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

In addition to the government and builder opportunities outlined above, you might consider a facilities management position at a university or hospital.  Whatever you do, get your license ASAP.  Being 10 years in, you will be competing with licensed applicants for the good jobs.

Oct 19, 13 10:10 am  · 
 · 
lobotomy79

Thank you all for your very useful advice! I am seriously considering all of your suggestions  but first I will try getting my license out of the way so I can be more marketable for these career choices! I will let you know why I have decided to do when I make my next move......

Oct 19, 13 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: